Monday, March 20, 2006

Spring Break! Girl gone wild!!!!!

Hahaha, all you poor suckers that came here misled by the title. Such are the cheap thrills in my life.

Ok, so for the uninitiated (or un-american, basically) "spring-break" is a week long vacation in universities here, heralding the start of spring. The weather is (hopefully) glorious, the biting cold should've gone by now, and junta basically goes wild. Young undergraduates make grand plans for this break- they plan cruises, ski-trips, visits to exotic beaches and foreign locales, and what not.. And so, starts a week of drunken, wild, rowdy behaviour for all these kids. Girls are thronging the gym weeks before spring break, trying to get into shape to fit into all those skimpy clothes and flaunt those anorexic figures (ok, yeah, zara sa bitterness there)...

For a poor grad student who' s trying to finish up.. (like moi :p) though, "spring break" has a whole different meaning. It means a break from having to teach classes and grade papers. It means a relief from those pesky undergrads holding up traffic in their big-ass s.u.v.s while talking on their cellphones. It means having the streets all to myself, so i can practise driving my new stick-shift, and learn to downshift and come to a complete halt without rattling all the bones in my body. Or stop and start on a slope without an annoying honker behind me.

Freedom from classes means all the more time to work in the lab. I managed to run two radioactive experiments, and do ten transfections over the week. Something that takes atleast 2- 3 weeks during regular days. One of the experiments actually worked! I worked on my paper, that was due like last year. (yeah, i kid you not). I cleaned up my virtual desktop, then i cleaned up my real-life desktop. I walked to and from lab, took long lunch breaks, and had an overall great time even though I didnt go anywhere!

And I drove on the left hand side (wrong side, here!) of the road for a bit the other day, just for kicks...

4 comments:

I am off blogger said...

Hmm nice posts I wish you post more regularly!!!

I am off blogger said...

Aur haan abt that comment on Sayeshaz.......yaar i was just wondering that as you two,living so many time zones apart, had challeneged each other, so I thot maybe u had some round-the-clock monitoring program!!

I am off blogger said...

Arey yaar post karo naa!!
Even me being a lazy guy have posted after you last visited my blog,in case you wanna check.........

Janefield said...

Hahhaha...reminds me of funny story of me driving in the US...maybe i'll blog abt it sometime :))