Tuesday, August 29, 2006

All the nice guys are taken! ;)

The menu:

Stuffed baby eggplants (the chotu baingans I brought all the way from NJ in my checked-in luggage..because of course, in my gaav, one gets 5 staple kinds of veggies, onions and potatoes included)

Bhindi masala (Farm grown okra (bhindi) with tomatoes )

Raita (Salad with yogurt, chopped tomatoes and carrots)

Biryani (Spiced rice with vegetables)

Rotis (Flat bread, bought frozen, pan-heated before serving)

Dessert: Ice cream and fresh fruits

The guests:

S#2 & her boyfriend R. This was a good-bye dinner for S. Her boyfriend R and I have rarely hung out together, and he was a little unsure of coming, but at my insistence, he did, eventually.

The history: S has been one of my closest friends here. She finished much earlier this year but hung around for a bit longer, and it kept getting prolonged, unexpectedly. It was like a new lease of life for our friendship, and I was in complete denial that she would actually move out eventually. We started out being lab-neighbours, and classmates. She is one of those people who lived a full life alongside going to grad school. Has several hobbies she pursues seriously, has a huge friends circle and a very active social life. She introduced me to biking, dragged me out of lab those nights when I was working too hard, and was always there for me when I needed her: to give a listening ear, to bitch alongside, or laugh and cry with me. When I moved labs, and got more busy with life, she made it a point that we met once every two weeks where we took turns cooking the lunch. Those were such fun lunch times and we continued keeping up with each others lives like before. For all our differences in culture, up-bringing and lifestyles, it was amazing how we connected so well and she got to understand my side of things that were often different from how she sees life.

Soon she learnt to differentiate indian spices, relish spicy food, eat with her hands (right hand only, i explained to her why and she never lost a chance to announce that at a table full of people eating food at an indian restaurant..siiigh). She is not one of those people that passes off all indian food as "curry". She takes time to taste, differentiate, and recognize ingredients and flavours in everything that I cook. One of the reasons it's so much fun to cook for her.

The evening: Although R had never come to my apartment before, he picked up on the lack of shoes beyond a certain a point and promptly took his shoes off. (My good friends know this is a pet peeve with me, and I cannot stand people walking with shoes all around my apartment). At dinner, I had to explain all the items on the menu as described above to both S and R. R used a fork and spoon while S relished eating with her hands, proudly breaking off a bit of roti with one hand alone and feeling oh-so-accomplished, :) R is not much of a fan of vegetarian food, so I was a bit concerned. But when he asked for seconds, and later announced that he was stuffed, I took that as a compliment. After a heavy dinner, S and I sat back on the couch, talking, giggling, and recounting memories while R cleared up the table and did the dishes. That's my kinda guy! The laughing and the jokes went on quite late- R has a terrific sense of humour that I was just beginning to get exposed to. He had us in splits and suddenly I was on the verge of getting my second noise warning in this apartment. So we had to stop there. Dessert was served, and we decided to call it a night. If not for R, I would have woken up to a sink full of dishes this morning, and memories of an awfully emotional good-bye to S. I am so glad he decided to come. :)

23 comments:

PSV said...

no direct reference of the title in the post...elaborate please

confused said...

Kaafi touching post tha...We are very touched. So all this drama was tell us how well you cook!

psv,

According to tgfi, nice guys mean those who clean up the dishes after dinner while the gf's chat and bitch about the world.

Feminist log hain bhai. :P

PSV said...

hahaha...sahi gal hai.

Hey Confused,
you should change your name man,coz when we read something written by Confused toh yahi lagta hai that Mr confused must have said something wrong, coz the name is confused even if the point you make is perfectly justified, as in this case!

it wasn't me! said...

Maybe you should've asked R if he has any brothers.

Although in defence of my desi-brothers, I am sure in todays age most of them help around with the dishes, cleaning etc..

U are probably looking in all the wrong places. U need to get out of the lab and socialize with humans a little more instead of parasites! ;) You might change your opinion then...

confused said...

psv,

hehe. The name serves well when I make confused points which is usually the case. Just a safety valve you see. :)

Prashanth said...

Menu: Yummmm. Me wants!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

psv,
the references are all subtle.

confused dude,
you live up to your name. all the drama was to tell y'all how difficult it is to find guys that willingly do dishes while the girls chat without getting all sexist on them. i rest my case.

p.s: i do cook well, but only for people i like.

psv,
actually, nice guys mean those who do dishes, take off their shoes inside the house, make good jokes, and the list goes on. but i decided to elaborate on confused's take home.

hi it wasn't you!
i did, he has none. :(
hehehe. i am not bemoaning the lack of desi guys who do dishes. i am bemoaning the lack of single available guys that do dishes. or perhaps the "domestication" is a side effect of them being hitched, eh? ;)

prashanth,
come over! i still have some L.O's. :)

gauravonomics said...

"The references are all subtle."

More than one meaning might be read in that, my lady! Friends' boyfriends/ girlfriends are tricky territory indeed.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

gauravonomics,
woah dude. don't read thaat much between the lines!
friends' boyfriends/girlfriends are not considered reachable territory in my world. they are out of bounds. :-)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Anonymous-trying-to-identify-me

there's a reason I remain anonymous on my blog. What makes you think I'd want you to know? Please desist from trying to "blow my cover" or other smart endeavours, thanks.

Rebellion said...

That was a verrry cute post Lajjo! I absolutely loved it.. one of my fav's on the blog world :)

It was really soo sweet of R to clean up the table & do the dishes! Seriously yaar, aise ladke kahan milte hai aaj kal.. S is one lucky gal (touchwood) :)

Take care,
Aarti

PS: I loved your replies to gauravonomics :P

confused said...

I would have thought friend's girlfriends would be considered out of bounds for a different reason. :P

The Smiling Girl said...

Oh poor baby... :)
Happens re.. all nice guys r taken.. :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

aarti,
:-) thanks

confused,
I would have thought friend's girlfriends would be considered out of bounds for a different reason
oh? we were just making a general statement. but whatever floats your boat, dude... :))

S.G,
yeah man! this cruel life! :-)

qsg said...

Yes...totally taken - totally totally taken! :((

greensatya said...

There is one more saying

"Nice guys finish last"

Ask your same friend after two years.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

qsg,
yeah. totally totally. :)

satya,
arre..that's a tad too cynical. one can be nice and still not get run over..it is possible.

Born a Libran said...

Lucky R.... I wish I was there at the sound of the menu...

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

libran,
:-) drop by if you're ever in the area..

Born a Libran said...

Thats it... Its been recorded in blogging history... Maybe once you get a postdoc, you will be in a city that I might come for a conference/holiday... BTW, r u looking for postdocs?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

libran,
what recorded and all? my cooking won't kill you man! :-) i am looking, yes..the process is trudging on.

Born a Libran said...

No... I meant you can't back off now... But moi likes the way you think ;-)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

libran,
:-). it's called deep thought.