Tuesday, September 19, 2006

More lessons learnt

I have had a small victory today. A seven month long saga seems to be finally finding closure. I hope so, atleast. Details of the saga are beyond the scope of this public journal, but suffice to say a happy ending is in sight and that point alone I think is worth sharing. Also more platitudes that I can now vouch for from experience.

1) However hopeless the situation seems, never give up. Really! Things turn around, if sufficiently goaded. Keep the faith, keep on fighting, and you will eventually reach a point when you can look back and see how far you've come, and feel proud of it.

2) Ask for help. I have always been terribly independent-minded and reluctant to seek help easily. I learnt to tweak this trait in my professional life, after a lot of time lost to trouble-shooting experiments or being stuck at points that I could've overcome if only I'd looked up and asked. Personally, I continued to be loath to reaching out for help. But no amount of lone crusading or screaming from rooftops would've helped our cause here if it were done without rallying support from relevant, more powerful people. I would've never known about resources that existed, or received the assistance I got to bring things to a good place today, if I hadn't asked. Indeed, the hesitation to ask, and bull-headedness to solve things by oneself without reaching out is a bit egocentric. Sometimes, you need to simply get up and ask, politely. And you will be surprised to find help from the most unexpected quarters.

3) Be organised. If you're ever faced with the situation of dealing with someone else's affairs, you cannot do it if you thrive in chaos yourself. Living alone spoils you in many ways, and shouldering another person's responsibility is a good reality check in life.

I am very happy today!

Update: Sorry to create this air of suspense. The post has nothing to do with my Ph.D (which is a 5 year saga still going strong! ;) ) but another, equally occupying (if at all there can be) personal struggle that was on for the past many months. :-) (otherwise you will all end up being like the bus folks, asking me, "when are you finishing??" ) {siigh} :) j/k

22 comments:

qsg said...

Congratulations! :) More so, if it is what I think it is! :D

confused said...

So done? Congratulations!

Chalo party hai!

B ko bhejta hoon :P

Anonymous said...

Congratulations...
No idea what you are talking about, so will end here.

greensatya said...

Congrats ! nothing succeeds like success.

Thanks for putting up those three points.

Nirwa said...

//And you will be surprised to find help from the most unexpected quarters.

So true!!

And am glad you're happy! Happiness is contageous! :P :P

Perspective Inc. said...

Congratulations.... now tell me what exactly am congratulating you on...!

The Smiling Girl said...

Yeah baby, I have a weird vague guess on what it is.. so Congrats on it! :)

But u know what.. even I cannot ask help in personal life. I am still working on it in my professional life though!!

Apan dono thoda same hain re Lajjo.. :D:P

shub said...

awesome! :)

Kraz said...

42?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

QSG,
thanks. :-)

confused,
no, i'm not done. but fir bhi, B ko idhar bhej. am waiting.

libran,
thanks man.

satya,
yes indeed. and you're welcome.

nirwa,
:-)

perspective,
thanks, see update. sorry i cannot divulge more.

SG,
thanks dear. haan, lagta hai kuch kuch same to same hai. ;) I have gotten a lot better now, at taking help. We all need it.

shub,
it is!

hi kraz!
not there yet! but last night i computed and got 41. so I'm close. :-)

its me said...

hey.. CONGRATULATIONS!! good for you :)

Anonymous said...

Congos!

And when are you fininshing??

heehee ;)

:|

Seriously, when are you?

Enigma said...

" when are you finishing"

*grin*
*blinking*

Janefield said...

ahhh...good to hear :-) congrats on your personal victory!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

it's you!
thankee. :)

anonymous,
thanks. and kya aap meri mummy ho? :-)

enigma,
oh! kya aap meri mummy ho??????? :-)

jane,
thanks girl. i am in a great mood these days. make the best of it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, its rather hard to ask for help in some situations. I still have a thing for figuring out stuff by myself...

Duhita said...

Congrats!!! And maybe one fine day we might get to hear about it??? :D Until then, party on!

The Smiling Girl said...

Yeah yeah.. I can see that ur mood is up these days... :)
Can I also make the most of it?? ;):P

Btw, what is this 41, 42 and all re?? Bol naa.. :D
*hopes she is not kicked out of this place*

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

prashanth,
yes, the joys of figuring out stuff by oneself is something else. But it's important to know when to stop and ask. I am amazed at how far I have come at that myself, after paying heavily in terms of time lost, especially work-wise.

duhita,
thanks. :-) nai yaar, won't blog about it. it doesn't involve me alone, and hence not for public consumption. :-) but party i will!

SG,
look who's here. jumping at any available opportunity. chal chal hawa aane de. somethings are for Jane only. :-)
42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything. I haven't figured it out yet myself, but I'm getting there. ;)

Tachyoson said...

good to hear that you have grown through the personal struggle!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

:-) thanks tachyoson.

Rebellion said...

YAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Lajjo is happy.. Err correction, was happy. Sh*t, guess am too late yaar but then its okay. I believe you don't really need to see the time to be happy & celebrate :)

And hence, I hope I reminded of your happiness, whatever it is and made you celebrate. I agree with Ninu, happiness is indeed contagious and I also loved perspective's comment.. That was a real cute try haan ;) But you don't know this Lajjo.. she's one secretive female wonly, will never let the facts out, not soo easily though.. M trying since months but haven't lost hope yet :D

Take care dear,
Verrry happy for you,
Congratulations :)
Aarti