Saturday, October 21, 2006

From anti-Diwali to Happy Diwali!

So I decided to celebrate non-diwali today. Finally, I am feeling the pinch of missing six Diwalis and six Ganesh Chaturthis - my two most favourite festivals. Not having a single desi friend around this year just made it worse. The day started with my old neighbour uncle from Bombay calling me and telling me how much he missed me, especially now. :( . More Happy Diwali phone calls. The effect was neutralised soon enough when another good friend, also equally morose in her apartment in another corner of the US called and we bitched together on the phone for an hour. :-) After that, I really didn't want to take any more phone calls that said "Happy Diwali, what are you doing for Diwali???". So the day was celebrated by boycotting email and phone. I went out and shopped a bit instead, and then indulged in my favourite anti-depressant: work. It worked. :-) Came home, and saw a couple apartments in my building all lit up and stuff. Siiigh. So I decided to snap out of this crap. Showered quickly, dressed up, and lit diyas (well-tea candles) in and around my apartment. Yeah, at 11 pm. so what? Now I am making kheer. Happy Diwali again! :-)

P.S: And DesiPundit is back! yay!

9 comments:

princeparas said...

Wish u a very Happy Diwali & Prosperous New Year .

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Hi Princeparas!
Thanks for your wishes! Wish you also a Prosperous New Year.

jane-talli challenged said...

Cool! You rock, babe :) I also want kheer!! *stomps foot*

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

jane-talli challenged,
come on over!

Rebellion said...

Why is it so that whenever I plan to write a comment, the "chor" Jane has already written it?? :(((

Mujhe kheeer chahiyeeeeeeeeeee, abhi, isi waqt, aapke haath ki and in Mumbai :P

Glad you enjoyed Diwali dear. You can still crib coz your far off, what if someone being here only has had similar diwali's??

Take care,
Aarti

Gaurav said...

Even I got bugged by the "so what are your plans for diwali" calls. And this was just my first diwali here!

Macho Girl said...

My diwali was just as crappy. Not a single friend around... everyone had gone to their relatives' place. Wrote a post bitching about how awful it felt to be alone on diwali, then deleted it realizing that life's not that bad... really... i can have a fun diwali on my own too! Things became so much better after that :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

heya mg,
am glad things made a turnaround for you too. it's true, we have a lot to enjoy and be thankful for.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

hey aarti , gaurav,
sorry i missed your comments

aarti, kheer khaana hai? aaja! ;) ;)

gaurav,
yeah, that was a bit irritating. after a while i got used to saying "nothing" and not even feeling bad.