Friday, November 17, 2006

Accepted!!!!!!

:))) Remember this??

So more than a month after we submitted, the reviews came back. While some very legitimate points were raised, some of the issues were so idiosyncratic. But the boss said I couldn't write that in my rebuttal, so I'm saying it here instead. ;) In my rebuttal, I conceded to some of the reviewers' points, re-clarified some of my points, and vehemently stood by some of my points with more data and references to boost them. Had to do some more weeks of analyses to convert what was a reasonable assumption (which reviewer #2 wouldn't buy) into a table and a statement with data to back it. All this had to be juggled with my own globe-trotting boss and an elusive collaborator on sabbatical. Not fun at all. At some points, I began to not care if this paper ever saw the light of the day. It had just been dragging for too long.

Anyways, I finally sent the revised version off, with a statement "thanking the reviewers for their comments which greatly improved the quality of the manuscript" - and I must admit, the few idiosyncracies aside, they did. The journal's online system kept showing my manuscript's status as "with reviewers" for over a month...and I was getting tired of checking. Finally today, the good news " Dear TGFI, we are delighted to accept your manuscript for publication" sitting, in my junk mail folder! Hah! I am SO happy. Wrote to my boss and she promptly announced a lab-lunch to celebrate her first student's first first-author paper. :-)

Happy times are here again. Drinks for all on the house, there's also some OJ and Horlicks for the underage. And thank-you all for the patient ear to my record-breaking rant.

YayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Graduation seems that much more attainable now, and I can't wait for the proofs to see my name in print. :-)

Can't wait for one of my only two friends here to get back into town so that I can go out and render myself incapable of driving. ;)

31 comments:

greensatya said...

Yay ! nice to see a happy TGFI. Congrats!!

Do you also courier the house drinks?:p

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

thanks satya!
:-) one jar of horlicks coming to finland.

shub said...

wooohooooo!!! Great news indeed! Congrats babe! >:D<

Anonymous said...

Congratulations girl!!! Great news...proud of you and really happy for you! :)

Anonymous said...

That anon was me - qsg - I hate Beta blogger!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! So when are you finishing up?

Duhita said...

Congrats!!! :) Party on...

Sakshi said...

You GO GIRL!
I know the exhiliration of getting the paper accepted. Good Job.. And I recommend a shot for every page :)
Simple and straight forward to celebrate ..

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

shub, anony-who-hates-beta-blogger, anony-who-is-my-mom, duhita, sakshi,

thanks y'all!! :-) sakshi, hehe i think i'll go with your recommendation. do you want to join me? :-)

Kaushik Gopalan said...

I remember somebody comparing the publication of one's first journal paper with the birth of a first child.

Any comments on that?

Mediocretes said...

Congrats!

Mediocretes said...

A wise sage once said this and this.

Born a Libran said...

Congratulations... Celebrations in order... The first first author paper is an achievment alright... Enzooooyyyy TGFI!!

Thucydides said...

hey,

I just kind of stumbled upon ur blog....good stuff!

And congratulations, for someone like me who is just starting grad school, a paper seems far, far away!!!

Sakshi said...

@TGFI - Let me know the number of pages. I am always game..

Perspective Inc. said...

yippie yippie yippie!! :)
Congrats!

jane said...

congratulations, jubilations, and felicitations!!! :D party on and hard, girl, you earned your fun :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

kaushik,
:-) yeah, i can see the similarities-inception, conception, long gestation with its ups and downs, and relief when the baby is finally out! But then I've never had a baby! But I did send an email to my close friends with the subject "my first baby is out!" :-)

mediocretes,
thanks. and yes, the wise sage seems to exude wisdom.

libran,
thanks :-)

thucydides,
hello there! thanks, and have fun at grad school- with all the ups and downs, it is fun.

sakshi,
will let you know when the proofs are out. :-)

jane. perspective,
thank-you, girls! :-)

fafridi said...

heyy congratulations!!!!!!! and i'll have jack with some coke :-B

The Smiling Girl said...

Congrats!!!
And thanks re.. I will have a Long Island. Horlicks is for those kids on the block!! :)

greensatya said...

What ? Horlicks for me !!!! don't pinch on drinks TGFI!! It is very cold here, nothing except 'Daiquiri' will do.

Sakshi said...

Since you are taking orders for drinks, here's mine -
"A dry Martini in a deep champagne goblet. Three measures of Gordon’s, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it’s ice-cold, then add a large slice of lemon-peel"
Yeah.. I have Bond Mania.. But I think it will turn out to be goood, dont you?

Macho Girl said...

hey! congrats on the paper! Musta been quite frustrating to see ur paper with the reviewers for so long ;) But i guess more the frustration, the happier u feel when success comes ur way!!!

Way to go!

(and thanks for the drinks! *hic*)

janius said...

awesome, this is becoming a full fledged bar :)) sash ko kampteesan! ;)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

fafridi,
thanks! ;) more jack! tu to gayi!

SG,
ahem, yes yes, your Long island coming up... (*wink* *wink* to the rest..)

satya,
hehehe. am not pinching! we've gone through two rounds here! just that horlicks is all the fedex guy was willing to take. :-)

sakshi,
oooo that does sound gooooood. i'll make two of those!

MG,
yeah, the wait was frustrating..but i'm glad it ended. thanks! and what did you just get? :-)

janius,
:-) arre next stop is sash's bar. hop on!

Party on folks! :-)

Di said...

yayyyyyyy :) i dont even know u ..but still good news is always lovely to know..congratulations..keep shining girl..!:)

The Girl Who Sold The World said...

Awesommmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Badhai ho, badhai ho. :P Now, I can boast that I know you. By the way, pliss to be sending loads of drinks to Paris. Thank you. :D

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

di,
it's equally nice to have people I don't know feel happy for me. :-) Thank-you. :-)

TGWSTW,
thank you mademoiselle. :-) Ya ya, will send drinks. horlicks or complan?

The Girl Who Sold The World said...

*Gasp* Horlicks? Complan? :O Hamaari itni tauheen? *flaunts her Urdu*
I want a 12-pack lager! :D

The Inquisitive Akka said...

Wow!!!Congratulations!I know the feeling! Go and enjoy yourself, you deserve it!!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

TGWSTW,
tauheen? hahhaahahaha! :-)

akka,
thank-you! :-)