Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Ah! Love!

A in A (Apologies in advance) for those readers who cannot stomach "lovely" posts.

So R, the undergrad in our lab is in luuuuurve. And oh, so hopelessly so! She met V at a party and the rest is all history. And it's been rather cute to see her all giddy and crazy in love. She smiles to herself, she checks email every few minutes, she calls us to read "isn't that cuuuuute" parts of V's emails and regales us with stories about how nice he is. I am very happy for her, V seems like decent guy too. We all enjoy indulging her, teasing her till she blushes beetroot red, all that fun stuff. But then, as they say, history repeats itself and then it gets painful. There is only so much "ooh-ing" and "Aah-ing" I can do. My friends from my school and college years will vouch for that- I was never the best confidante for those who fell head-over-heels in love. So after the initial humdrum, I want to get back to work, and not have to to run to her computer for every "Aww so cute" email. I also don't want to have to sit and listen through a long prelude to an even longer story who's punch line is also "Aww so cute". Now we all know how annoying the sound of "Aww" is and I won't go into details there. So much so that now when she comes in every morning, beaming with the look of an "update" written on her face, I am terrorized. Afraid of being roped into sitting through a long story where I will have to feign wonderment, awe, and aww. Did I mention that R also happens to be one of those people that talks in a real low voice, and really really slowly? It's ultimate torture: Through pauses and giggles and bashful smiles, R explains every detail, every nuance of how boy impressed girl with his latest antic. Which was complimenting her on her hair. There are words for that, in English language. They go "he complimented me on my hair". Now how hard is that? Apparently, very. So while I politely indulge, my mind is going through escape strategies I should use next time.

But R is such a kid and I wouldn't want to be mean to her. Not to mention the fear of coming across as that bitter, single bitch who cannot even share another's happiness! How heartless of me, indeed! {sigh} I am finally beginning to see the downside of being single- you have no cover in situations like these. What sad irony that is!

23 comments:

greensatya said...

Your friend 'R' seems to be like a teenager in love. Is this the first time for her ?

In a way I can totally understand how tortourous it might be and I guess it is for everyone. Hmm, except for those who can add their own stuff to the story.

Sadly, I don't see any good escape strategy for you unless reality catches up with 'R'.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

satya,
yeah, she's a kid, so it is all new for her. i figure she should enjoy it while it lasts. :-)

shub said...

or you could be the cynical, heartless bitch* and tell her sweets, enjoy the attention while it lasts, cos it aint gonna last too long! muhahahaha!!!

* - me :D

greensatya said...

Amen Shub :)

We seem to have a consensus here, don't we ?

Kaushik Gopalan said...

Just in case the 'A in A' was meant for me: You should know that I have a reasonably high threshold for mush, probably higher than yours.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

shub, satya,
lol! you have no idea how many times the thought has crossed my mind. :-)

kaushik,
probably higher than yours
you should know that ain't much to be proud of. ;)

Kaushik Gopalan said...

TGFI,

I don't have that much to be proud of anyway, so I take everything that I can get.

confused said...

I think you need a bf too. I am willing to listen to all the cuteeeeee mails. :P

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

kaushik,
:-) ok, you have it. congratulations.

confused,

!@#$%. why don't you find me a "cuteeee" bf first? of course, i'd be wary of your picks, depending on where they came from. ;) he he he

Sumit Tada said...

Ab hum to kya kahen iske baare mein, hvnt been on either side of the story......gf kabhi thi nai, and most ppl dont like talking with me abt things other than electronics,circuits,robots etc etc... :(:(

sumit_tada said...

But haan, ab last year mein aake, suddenly people are finding their loves(it beats me why they cudnt realise it in last 3 years while they have been together).....but then mostly i hear them from a third person...

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sumit,
you're not missing much, i assure you. & tera nambar aayega. :P.


p.s: Deep thought is glad to have you back! :)

qsg said...

Aaaawwwwww - how cute! First love and all - hmmm... :)

I lurve listening to those stories. I don't tire easily of mush! I am a sucker for this stuff... tell her to talk to me. I am only cynical about myself - the others not! :))

Neihal said...

LOL!..cudnt help laughing...but dont shout...I understand what you mean....at one point I was the only single person in my gang of love strucks.You dont want to know what I went through.

Anonymous said...

lovely post.

or was it cute?? :D

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

qsg,
aaaaawwwwww....
sheesh girl! did you not read my post or what? take your aww and get outta here, please! :-)

neihal,
do tell, and then i will laugh. :-)

anony,
it was cuuuuuteeeeee. :-)

Born a Libran said...

I am with you on this... Sounds boring... As you can see, I am not very patient at listening to another's heart felt story either...

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

libran,
yeah....quite boring it is. :p

The Smiling Girl said...

U right re.. these mushy stories can really be a pain in the backside.. i tend to be really away from mushers.. single or non-single, I never cared.. :D

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

S Geee
:)

Basanti said...

So much so that now when she comes in every morning, beaming with the look of an "update" written on her face, I am terrorized.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL!!

I was in similar situation sometime back.. and even worse was consoling her of her first heartbreak!!

Yep, we singles dont know how it feels to be madly in love like that! :p

Rebellion said...

I agree with a bit of what everyone said Lajjo, esp Shub & Gems! I know both have written contradictory comments but thats the way I am! At times I loooove such stuff but at the same time, after reading & ROFLing over Shub's comment, I felt you should do it yaar! Actually no, you shouldn't coz that would be mean and after all, if your the one to hear her "aww so cute" stories... you'll have to be the one to hear her heartbreak (hope not) stories too! :P

So wish you luck :P

Take care,
Aarti

PS: Was actually gonna start my comment with this, then thought of ending it with it! Lajjo, your soooooooooooooo cute >:D<

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

basanti,
haan, you know my pain, don't you?

aarti,
grrrr....:)