Monday, December 11, 2006

R.I.P Hobbes, continued

No, this is not a rant against @#@ windoze.

The first signs that Hobbes was sick came after a broken hinge which caused problems with the display. One fine day, just 2 days after I got back from Boston, the display stopped working entirely. I figured it was the hinge that I didn't fix, I was warned that this would happen. So my plan in mind was to get an external monitor and use Hobbes as a desktop. Later, I heard this funny "krr krr" noise from his heart. That just didn't sound good. I took him to my good pal V who is also a very good doctor of Macs, and he finally broke the bad news to me. The krr krr is the sound of a crashed hard drive. And I have NO back ups of my stuff on Hobbes. Hobbes was primarily my personal machine, any work I did I connected remotely to my work computer. So it never occured to me to back up my stuff on Hobbes. In "retrospect", I realise that if I had saved work stuff on it, I would be more conscious about backing it up. Now I am just coming to terms with the loss of 5 years of memories in the form of .jpegs. Photos of my friends, my life here, my travels, all those good times, EVERYTHING. That I will never get back. That is the first thing that strikes to me. As days go by, I'm going to realise other things on there that I miss terribly. I am kicking myself for constantly procrastinating uploading my pics online. Atleast I would have them there.

Of course, I am lucky this didn't happen during my interviews. Thats the only sliver of brightness I can see right now.

Attempting to restore this data is going to be very expensive, and even then doesn't guarantee anything. So it's really a closed case. The only way I can deal with this is to stop thinking about it.

*Sob*

In other news, remember this? I got my statement for that period and a $20 charge for roaming since I used my phone a good bit even though I was abroad (And this is after discounted rates). So I called Cingular and reminded them about the whole story, and asked if they would take that charge off as a courtesy. They did it, no questions asked! I think this compensates for some of the angst and emotional trauma I was subject to, with my voicemail being thrown open to all and sundry. ;)

13 comments:

Duhita said...

My deepest sympathies..... May he rest in peace. And for you....a big warm hug, you will eventually forget, I am sure! Cheer up!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

thanks duhita! hugs are much needed and appreciated. :)

Abi said...

Sympathies. I'm not sure if this will make you feel better, but it happened to me too about a year before I finished my thesis. It happened at work, I had *everything* on that machine, and I had no back-up.

A hard lesson was learned the hard way. Builds character, I suppose ;-)

You might want to try this.

Neihal said...

sounds very bad...but a good lesson for all the lazy ppl like me....and what else can I say....go shopping!
Not a very sensible thing...but it works :)

The Smiling Girl said...

Oh shit.. u lost everything, Lajjo? Thats soooo bad. But I think there is a way to recover stuff that has crashed. Get it checked again! Atleast Windows has that... (Nopes, I am not trying to be mean here! :))

The Smiling Girl said...

Expense ka kya hain yaar... as compared to the memories... Just manage it and get it recovered, I am sure it will get recovered!

Sakshi said...

Deepest sympathy over your loss ..
One more silver lining for your dark cloud - scaring me into backing my stuff.
I do the same thing - login to my lab comp for work and use my laptop as a personal memory storing machine :)So first thing to do today is back up my files ..

Sumit Tada said...

Hello ji :)
its really sad that u lost so much stuff, but my advice is that even if u dont want the data to be recovered right now....do keep the disk with you......maybe sometime in future u might think that those memories are worth the effort(and money)....or to be more optimistic, kya pata tab tak aapko restoration itni mahngi naa lage(bcoz of hving a high paying job:-) )!!!

Wat say??

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Abi,
OMG! Thanks for sharing. I'd be dead if I lost my work stuff, but backing up is religion in our workplace. Yes, character-building lessons indeed!

neihal,
:-) i think i'll try shopping. or ice-cream.

SG,
nahi yaar. it will go into $1000 or more to even try to recover, with no guarantees. the kind of damage that is the "Worst" kinds. i have to make a decision with my head here, i simply cannot afford it.


sakshi,
thanks girl. don't forget to back up your music too, if need be. I just realised what else I lost. fuck.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sumit,
kaisa hai tu? that's a nice idea, and a nice thought. i will hang on to it. thanks!

greensatya said...

I trying to comment once more. Why did you switch to beta ?

greensatya said...

Oh, it did go this time. Damn this was like my 10th try. Could not even comment in other posts even.

I can imagine how you must be feeling about lost data in the hard-drive. Terribly sad, my sympathies. I know it does not help though.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

satya,
thanks for the persistent efforts to comment. :-)
yeah- i am just trying to ignore it for now. cannot stop kicking myself otherwise.

regret switching to beta too! but there's no going back now. :(