Friday, January 19, 2007

STRICT WARNING

Email subject: WARNING.

Dear TGFI,

If you do not submit your manuscript draft to me by Monday, Jan 22 I will report you to the graduate-student-procrastination-police.

Yes, there is one. You never know about them until your sixth year. They are keeping track of chronic abusers and offenders.

From: your-supervisor@your-univ.edu

Turns out, our university email system can be hacked. One can go into  their own account, and change the sender's name field AND email id field to anybody else. So I can make my emails read like they are coming from "My. Supervisor" ( my-supervisors-id@my-univ.edu). For more fun, I can also set the "Reply-to" field to direct replies back to my original email id or a new email id that i can set up to look like the fake sender's. Think of all the entertainment value this has.

For now, I am now sending such threatening emails to myself. One day, soon, she will actually send me one such email, and I will laugh it off. Wolf Wolf story ho jaayega.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

TGFI time pass mat karo. :x

Neihal said...

graduate-student-procrastination-police. LOL!
entertainment value to bahut hai
but the wolf story part is a bit scary
;)
take care TGFI:)

IdeaSmith said...

LOL gurl...doesn't life hold enough of horrors already without killing yourself like that?

Sakshi said...

Hehe - I have taped my boss saying, "every minute wasted is a day added to graduation".. I play it when I need swift kick to my butt to get off the procrastination boat. Sadly it seems not to be working. I blame it on the magnetic power of that "I'll do it seriously tomorrow" thought that seems to have overtaken my brain :)

Revealed said...

"I'll do it seriously tomorrow"

I so hear ya

Rebellion said...

LOL Lajjo...
Sudhar jao! Its high time you take that seriously. Chalo, il postpone my deadline for you, just for you! Now go & start getting to ending your manuscript faaast :P

Take care,
Aarti

sd said...

TGFI,

anonymous correct bol rahe hain!

* sd tum idhar kya kar rahe ho? blog-hopping chodo aur time pass mat karo*

greensatya said...

Aha, so you are busy with your thesis thing. Good luck with it.

Oh, if that email system is that easy to breach then I can imagine even getting the question paper of the exams and other such things as well !! :P Ofcourse they won't be any use to you but for undergrads !

SG-lazy-to-login said...

Tereko mail chahiye na... main bhejtun re... bol tera official id... :)

spoon said...

those are often our creative moments, when procrastinating, as you've jsut pointed out so well! I think you should send yourself an "outstanding delivery" email - go on, you deserve it!

spoon said...

those are often our creative moments, when procrastinating, as you've jsut pointed out so well! I think you should send yourself an "outstanding delivery" email - go on, you deserve it!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

anony,
sorry mummy. :p

neihal,
:-) i swear if i had more time on my hands, i'd have exploited that entertainment value totally!

ideasmith,
apparently not, eh? ;)

sakshi,
yeah, i swear, seriously, tomorrow. promise. :p

revealed,
you too? me too!

rebellion,
yaar...wish i could sudharofy.

sd,
hehehe. thanks for taking the words right off my keyboard. ;)

satya,
thanks. yeah..although it is trace-able, as i discovered soon after. :p

lazy sg,
:-) nice try.

spoon,
hahahha! i like your idea. :)