Thursday, April 12, 2007

Don't drive and sleep

After 6 years of living in the U.S, I only started eating from drive-through eateries this year- I have consumed more junk and fast food in the past few months than I did in the last many years of living here. Well- some things cannot be avoided and at this point I can only promise myself to get back to healthy cooking and eating when I am done with this madness.

Anyways- so I discovered yet another drive-through place and was returning from there with a brown packet of cholesterol, when I noticed rather badly placed signs on the road, making it a bit difficult for one to yield to on coming traffic while turning there. I was thinking in my mind how dangerous it was, and why nobody fixed it..and already made a mental wrote of writing to the city planners (yeah, I love doing stuff like that, especially when I have more important things to do). After consuming the contents of said brown bag, I went back to staring at the computer and thinking about how much my life sucked and how I should stick to salad for tomorrow and what my mom will say when she says the weight I have put on. It was all so depressing that I was debating between slogging it out at the computer or calling it a night...

Against my resolve, I gave in to the temptation of getting ready-made vegetarian deep-fried poison yet another time. I was hungry, preoccupied with guilt, and very sleep-deprived because I had hardly slept that night. My eyes were tired and as I pulled out, I kept falling on the steering wheel and tried to slap myself to wake myself up. I couldn't control myself and the next thing I knew was I was being woken up by blaring horns (including my own car's ) and I had crashed into the car in front of me. The bike rack that sits on the back of my car was all over me. Somebody was trying to extricate me from there- and I was thinking about how fat I had become.

I don't know if it's the thesis or the food that's giving me these nightmares. This has gotta stop.

22 comments:

shub said...

awwww! take it easy girl! If I could I would send some home-cooked food for ya from here I would!
>:D<

shub said...

....err...not cos you're getting fat or anything, just so you can put in more time on your thesis :-)

Neihal said...

You scared me!!!
humph!!!

I hate road accidents, I mean everyone does, I seen to live in constant fear :((

you take care, good care, aur kaam khatam karo pehle.
Hugs. :)

Basanti said...

Here :

To dream of a car accident, symbolizes your emotional state. You may be harboring deep anxieties and fears. Are you "driving" yourself too hard? This dream may tell you to slow down before you hit disaster. You need to rethink or re-plan your course of actions and set yourself on a better path

That's the analysis of your "car accident" dream! :)

Thoda sa relaxation! :)

Good luck to you! :)

Perspective Inc. said...

Am glad it was just a dream! whew!

qsg said...

You are nuts. Take it easy, girl!

Revealed said...

Scared me tooooo. Alternate career in horror fiction?

Pravin said...

good thing you didn't hurt yourself in the crash.

its really bothersome to make your own meal when you get fast food. been there. that would explain my tyre tummy

Klastos said...

You're not alone. I think a lot of people are ashamed of actually eating fast food. As a college student, I have no other option during the fifteen or thirty minutes in between classes. I ate at McDonald's for the first time in years yesterday and I felt miserable about it afterwards. I've never heard of fast vegetarian food though.

Thucydides said...

Guilty pleasure, this fast food.

Try home delivery, you don't need to burn those precious few calories even.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

shub,
thanks for the thought dear..and quick save ;)

neihal,
i scared me too! :p thx

basanti,
accha analysis. right on!
thanks,

perspective,
yeah. :-)

qsg,
yes ma'am, i am over the edge and hopeless case :(

revealed,
good idea. but the bleddy writers block will "haunt"me there too! :(

pravin,
er..i didn't get hurt because it was a dream! :)
tyre tummy. :( :'(

klastos,
well......Burger King makes veggie burgers. you DID NOT read about that here. :p
yes, it does make one terribly ashamed. hopefully i won't do it for too much longer.

thucydides,
hahahaha! i like your attitude. :) all they home deliver is pizza, and there is NO WAY IN HELL i'm getting that. that's the one extreme I haven't pushed yet. :p

Rebellion said...

Idiot, stupid, dumbo-dendo! You really scared me!! Only towards the end I realised that it was a nightmare!!!

Forget everything for now and just concentrate on your thesis dear. Weight toh aata jaata rehta hai! Let it have you for now, once you're done with this so-called madness, next goal will be to lose weight and we all will help you in that too :D

For now, just relax and DON'T avoid your sleep :)

All the Best..
Take care :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

dumbo-dendo???
ehehehhehehe i've never got that gaali before. :p

sd said...

What was a scary post-until I reached the last line. phew! Take it easy. Aapka bhi number aayega!

Sakshi said...

@TGFI - Sometimes, it is so eerie coming to your blog. I see yet another post that reflects what's going on in my life.
I have mastered the art of takeout in the past couple of months. And I have started craving sweets!!! I hate sweets.. it's like pregnancy craving without the baby ;)
I think I am going to gain 10 lbs by the time this is over!
MUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMY!!!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sd,
am sure you know what it is like :( yeh number aate aate meri jaan nikalne waali hai. :p

sakshi,
I crave ice-cream all the time! as if the bad food is not enough. this is CRAZY. so i have stocked up on those popiscles- the types we eat during wisdom teeth surgery.

*Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeches**

Tachyoson said...

here i am very much in the home city and i STILL cant avoid the oil prevalent junk from office canteen - blargh.

youch. you slept at the wheel... glad you returned to tell the tale without much damage to your PERSON.

Rebellion said...

khi khi khi khi!
Has to be na yaar! Meri tarah meri gaaliyan bhi unique honi chahiye na?! hehehe :D:P

Rio said...

jeez...! you need some TLC, then you'll sleep like a baby. muah!
take care, girl!

Shripriya said...

Good that it was just a nightmare. I remember when I was driving home from work at 3am once and fell asleep for a second. Bloody frightening. Fortunately the road was deserted, it was a straight stretch and it was just a second. But it freaked me out. I rolled down the window and froze till I got home...

Rebellion said...

ha! Rio gave you a muah! You sure had a great sleep last night dint you? ;):P

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

tachy,
oil prevalent junk
blargh indeed! :(

i didn't sleep at the wheel! it was a dream!

but i did once, another time :)

aarti,
lol! i like that gaali. will use it.

rio,
hell yeah me needs much TLC!!! and you know who needs to do the needful? ;)

shripriya,
yeah- i have dozed at the wheel on a two occasions- and i've known two friends in bad accidents due to the same. it's very terrifying. window down, loud eminem music and caffeine are useful at such times.

aarti,
indeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. :D