Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Home is ??????

I had vacated my apartment and left the town that was home for six years. Leaving lutom (little university town of mine) was not at all easy. My closest circle of friends had already left over the past year and more,  but the hardest part was saying goodbye to the town. I was looking forward to India, so it made things easier.

Bombay, India - the city that was home for 22 years. My brief stopover in Bombay was laced with some confusion. We stayed with old friends, in an unfamiliar area. But I traveled to my old haunts, and underneath the layers of increased crowds, traffic and superficial changes I could still find familiarity everywhere. I was home, again! I met up with old friends and enjoyed the opportunity to just be me, not have to worry about being understood. Because they simply accepted me for what I am, no questions asked. This kind of comfort is priceless and hard to get. I am lucky to have friends like that. Nevertheless, there was a clear disconnect between our lives, and things that I was utterly incapable of relating to. What I considered regressive thinking was just a way of life for them. I couldn't hold it against them, nor could I go preachy on them for how I thought things should be. They had made their choices and my once-in-a-few-years visit and few hours-long talk wasn't going to revolutionize their life. They weren't even asking for it.

I had a hectic three days in Bombay, trying to take in everything, eat all possible junk food, meet all my old friends (and one new 'blog'  friend ;)). Even before I could have my fill of Bombay, it was time to get on a flight to Hyderabad, my parents' new home.

My entry into Hyderabad could've been quite depressing. Instead, I was lucky to meet up with another newfound blog friend who showed me around town, easing my entry in so many ways. Finally it was no longer "this city called hyderabad" to me, but a nice bustling city with a lot to offer. Even though the road sense and hyderabadi hindi is never going to sit right with me, I think there's ample scope for fun and a lot of good things my parents can enjoy too. After a fun weekend with the blogfriend I came to my parents' house in a far-flung suburb of hyderabad. I surveyed the new apartment, contemplated the water shortage, and went through all the boxes, trying to see how much of my stuff had made it from Bombay to Hyderabad. I went to bed tired and a bit disoriented. My parents let me sleep in like a queen, and I woke up to the smell of mom's cooking. As I sat at her kitchen table wolfing down her delicious upma and getting royal treatment from my doting parents (I know it won't last long ;) ) I realised that the hindi, the water shortage, nothing mattered. This is home!

P.S: Sorry for the unanswered comments, I am too paranoid to open up my blog from my dad's computer, hence will continue posting via email only. Thanks for stopping by and commenting y'all. :-)

22 comments:

Shek said...

i am 80 miles away from my little university town and I miss it inspite of visiting it once in a few months. Some of us just get used to the simplicity.

I cant even imagine going back to india after all these years and having to see my home base shifted to another city. It would be serious indentity crisis for me. Kudos to your blog friend in Hyderabad for making you feel at home.

Now, just go have some biriyani, kick back and enjoy. Dont worry about not reading your comments...we will spam anyway, right Neihal, Sakshi, Aarti?

Did you fix all 'my' word verifications to be more than 6 letters?!?!? mosohtxo

Perspective Inc said...

I quite felt that way too when my parents first moved to hyd.. but you quickly realize, its 'home' and it doesn't quite matter where exacly it is.. am glad you enjoyed your holiday!

Pri said...

will u be going to bangalore? will u? will u? its pretty and i hear its been raining a lot. sorry for the randomness of my comment but its like my new thing to convince everyone to visit bangalore. so go. its pretty. and fun.

ferret said...

Like i always say, home is where mom is.
so isnt your mom taking u on a bharat darshan showing prospective grooms yet :P

-sxmfkr

Neihal said...

hmmmm.... :(

enjoy !!

Shek....cmmon...what spamming, huh?
those were proper comments all the time. Its TGFI who does not appreciate. :(

:P

Rebellion said...

@ Lajjo
Home is not made of walls n a ceiling, its made of people. So, where you family is, thats where your home is :)

Glad she made you adjust to Hyderabad. Tho not so good for me. Coz I was expecting you to run to Mumbai back again, soon :P

Btw, no more details in here?? ;):P

@ Neihal
I agree Neihal. Aaj Lajjo ko hamari kadar nahi hai. Jis din hum comment karna chod denge, tab yaad karke royegi. Right Sakshi? ;)

Tachyoson said...

glad to know other people miss this here town too.... have a great time!

Sakshi said...

@My sistahs and shek - We don't spam! we only comment :)

@TGFI- I know what you mean when you say "there was a clear disconnect between our lives" - i felt that last year when i went home and agonized over how much I have changed in the few years I have been away :)
And glad you liked Hyd. And you will laugh your heart out, if you listen to the true "hyderabadi" - just ask somebody in the old city to tell you a story :P

sd said...

Glad you are having a great time. Spends lots of good time with parents and do not miss out on the famous hydrabadi biryani!

phatichar said...

touching...

Shek said...

Neihal, Aarti and Sakshi,
Why dont you agree that we spam Ipanema Girl's comment box? Arent you 'supposed' to be submissive? Please take crash course at Manju Sanskar Kendra. I am sure they have a correspondence course for out-of-bhopal students. :D

Janefield said...

enjoy your trip! and don't do something i wouldn't do! ;)

qsg said...

I am jealous of you tgfi - just the time of year when I miss home the most! Oh well...glad you could be home after so many years...

... you met a friend in Hydie? One? Hmmmm

Coco Captive said...

@Persp: Tell me where ur parents stay here in Hydie! :)

@Lajjo: Glad u r home, lady Daaktar!!!

Born a Libran said...

Have fun.. enjoy the time off... When u come back, u will probably be treated as the new slave...

Sakshi said...

@Shek - We don't spam!
Hum achchi ladkiya aise bure kaam nahi karte! Aap ke man mein koi chor hai..
Back me up, sistahs!

Amit said...

itni sistahs mil ke shek pe attack kar rahi hain?!

nahin chalegi yeh nainsaafi, nahin chalegi!

aur spam aap chokriyan nahin to kya main aa kar daily karta hoon?? :D

Cheers!

greensatya said...

Yeah that's how life works, We keep changing cities, buildings and so home is where you are 'now'

Enjoy your India trip ! coming south anytime ?

Shek said...

@amit
thanks for getting my back bro...

Sakshi said...

@Amit - Cheapo companies putting up enhancement ads is spam!
Hum doodh ki dhuli ladkiyan are engaged in intellectual discourse :P

And shek, we never ganged up on you!

Neihal said...

@ Sakshi... I agree , we write our true feelings here, and this is called spamming, It hurts.
:P

@Shek...I still maintain we dont spam. And rather than us calling it spamming better u start calling it healthy commenting. :P

Shek said...

all the spammers are coming out of the woodworks.