Monday, July 30, 2007

A day or two in the life of my mom

My mother had to leave town to go take care of her sick mother in our hometown, while I stayed back with my dad to look after my grandfather who stays with us. I have been holding fort for a little less than a week now, with my mom away. My father takes care of coffee early morning, because I cannot make half as good filter coffee as my mom, and my grandfather will not settle for any less. Then I take over, my father's lunch box has to be made, there's water to be collected, laundry to be done, and cooking. All morning, my granddad has to be given his light breakfast, milk, etc. interspersed with a zillion medications all at the right times. I always thought I had done a pretty good job cooking and taking care of my house as a student for the past six years. But when a house has to be run keeping in mind the preferences, habits and activities of people other than oneself, it's not that simple any more. I never realized what a pain it is to cook without running water. I had no clue how frustrating it was to run a single load of laundry in the washing machine with several intermittent power outages, and very limited space to then dry those clothes. I simply cannot tolerate my mother's maid, her skipping work every alternate day, her slipshod jobs, and her brazenness in the face of it all. I don't know how my mom figured out how to exactly cook to match my grandpa's tastes, it is quite a mystery to me. My grandfather was once the supervisor of catering services in the railways. Needless to say, he is very exacting in terms of how food has to be cooked and let alone the sabzis I make, even the rice I cook does not match up to his expectations. My aunt lives down the street from us and has been sending some food across as "back-up plans" to my cooking, which I resort to unfailingly.

My mom returns today. Her welcome back gift from me is a clean house, an empty laundry basket and the dinner cooked for tonight. And of course loads of appreciation. I have no clue how you do it mom, I'm glad you're back, please take over now! :p

20 comments:

greensatya said...

Haha, atleast you had the perfect opportunity to mix the red mug with the blue mug :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

LOLLL!
how did you know??? :?

Coco Captive said...

Hahaha... hamare bas ki baat nahi hain woh sab..
tu mereko kab khana khilayegi?

sd said...

Hehe. Moms are special.

Pri said...

You can’t make filter kaapi???
Good South Indian girls everywhere [including yours truly] hold their heads in shame!

shub said...

Hehe! Good girl! :D Funnily, the first part of the first line describes exactly what happened with me as well! Siigh!

Rebellion said...

hehehe. Cute post. No wonder we all end up saying, moms are the best :D

Loved the last part of your post.
Cheers to all the moms *clink* ;)

Neihal said...

Your mom should be really glad specially with the welcome gift. now tell me sachci sachchi did you mix the mugs and buckets?

huh, did you?

:D

Janefield said...

You just can't beat moms! They rock! But kudos to you for yr efforts, I'm sure your mom, dad and at some levels, even yr grandpa appreciated it :)

And that was a very thoughtful and wonderful welcome gift for your mom!

TS said...

Awww...

Perspective Inc said...

Those shoes are hard to fill... I always wonder how my mom does it all... its bleddy tough I tell ya!

satish said...

nice.

Sayesha said...

Shabash! Good girl! One star for you! Now out with the story of the mugs! :D

Sayesha said...

One star as in one star wala sticker, not one star wala rating! Tu toh five-star hai! :P

akhil said...

Maybe, your mom would feel the same way, to be in your shoes for a few days ... he hee ;-)

Switching lives, atleast thinking 'how they do it!', will help us appreciate things better ... when they get 'magically' done :D

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

CC,
bilkul nai hai. I learned the hard way. Haan khaana ka program banaate hain is week. :p

sd,
they are, indeed!

pri,
*also bows head in solidarity* can i get a cuppa kaapi, plij?

shub,
:p yaar, I feel your pain.


aarti,
:) absolutely!

neihaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal!!!
big WB to you! arre nai yaar, didn't mix 'em too often. No fun without mom around to hyperventilate when I'm doing it. ;)

Jane,
yeah, my grand dad did appreciate my efforts, he's a sweety that way. His face lit up when my mom came home, though. hehehe :)

ts,
:)

perspective,
I wonder how if I'd ever be able to do it too.
How ya been??

satish,
thanks! ;)

sash,
babe, hum to five-star-ich hain. story of mugs is kaanfidential! ;)

heyA akhil,
hehe. I dunno about my mom living in my shoes. I'll have a clean room for sure! ;)

Sujatha said...

My uncle was in charge (I would have said "head", but am not sure) of security for the Indian Railways for a while. You grandad probably came across my uncle.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sujatha,
he was? email me his name and i'll ask grandpa. it's possible he knows! it's a small world, after all.

Sujatha said...

Sent you e-mail. BTW, lovely vignettes, all these posts. Feels good reading them.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Thanks Sujatha. :) I got your mail. Will check and tell you :)