Friday, November 09, 2007

Happy Diwali!



I think I have graduated from home-sickness to pure nostalgia during festivities. It has become a way of life, seven diwalis, seven ganesh chaturthis, and thats the way it is! Diwali for me at home in Bombay meant being woken up by our crazy maharashtrian neighbours who woke up at 3 am to burst crackers. Then being woken up again, having oil-bath, wearing new clothes. :) It was one of those rare occasions I actually enjoyed dressing up, then. S, my best friend from downstairs would come up to show off her new dress. In the evening, we'd deck up, go to everyone's houses in the neighbourhood to exchange sweets. The same general mix would make the rounds- chiwda, chakli, laddus, some barfi, etc. etc. Sometimes things would go from one house to another and back to the house it came from! But it didn't matter. We'd come back to our houses to a huge spread of sweets. Then we'd change into simpler clothes and gather downstairs to burst crackers. Our building was like the meeting ground for all the people around the neighbourhood- everone pooled their crackers and the uncles and aunties looked over as the kids had a good time. Bhoomi chakras, anaars, rockets, and all those bombs. Oh yeah- there was a Lakshmi pooja in there somewhere I forgot. And also lighting diyas all around the house, something I loved doing.

The next few days would be spent eating all those sweets like there's no tomorrow. And the next many months would be spent swearing off sweets. :) Ah! fun times. I miss home like hell at such times- calling and listening to the firecrackers in the background totally does it for me. I don't know if it's the proximity to my sister's that's making me less home-sick than usual, the fact that I just went home, or the little voice in my head thats telling me that its a matter of a few more years and I will be home, eventually!

For now, I have lit a string of electric brass diyas that look really pretty. (But my mom says that doesn't suffice, I need to light an oil lamp too!) I will brave the cold and wear a nice new churidaar to lab today and take along some gulab jamuns. I'm happy. Happy Diwali all ye readers of Deep Thought!

18 comments:

Ravi said...

Wishing You & Your Family A Very Happy Diwali :)

Take Care!

Ravi (a reader of your blog)

Tachyoson said...

i tried lighting oil lamps ... darn things wont stay lit .... and being lonely on Diwali really is the worst ...

Duhita said...

Happy Diwali!!!:) Those Gulabos look yummy:)

Patrix said...

Heh. Happy Diwali to you too :) But I know why you suddenly 'found' my blog :)

Sakshi said...

Happy Diwali.
And unfair to temp people with pictures - esp. lazy ones :)
We demand to test for ourselves if they taste as good as they look. Pliss to send :P

Sakshi said...

Happy Diwali.
And unfair to temp people with pictures - esp. lazy ones :)
We demand to test for ourselves if they taste as good as they look. Pliss to send :P

Pri said...

where did u get electric brass diyas?

oh and apparently even if u had diyas u couldnt put them outside. fire hazard or some lame excuse! it's very sad this.

Born a Libran said...

All u ppl r bleddy depressing ya... :)

monsooner said...

Happy Diwali, Deepz!
Can I have a bite from those julabs? :D

ggop said...

Happy Diwali!

Raj said...

Happy Diwali to you too!

I just had two gulab jamuns 2 minutes before I read your post. Some coincidence! :D

ferret said...

happy diwali to u too!!
and somebody wants to have a bite of 'julabs',,hahhahahahah, i hope those yummy looking gulab jamuns in the picture don't give that :D

Klastos said...

Those things are disgusting.

sd said...

Happy Diwali:)

I never liked the fire crackers too much, especially hated the smell afterwards. Par sweets, diya... life was good back then.


ps: Did you make those gulab jamuns? Wah wah wah

Sayesha said...

Hehehe! I made gulabos too! :P
ps: The low-cal variety of course! :P

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

hi Ravi!

thanks! Hope you had a fun Diwali.

tachyoson,
ah. the trick is to soak wicks in oil for a while (overnight) before lighting them. but if there's too much breeze it's probably not going to stay lit..
yes, being lonely on diwali is not fun at all. :( i know. but we've just gotta make it happy for ourselves.

duhita,
:) Happy Diwali babe. yeah they were yummy. I had one too many too. :(

patrix,
:))))

sakshi,
come over!

pri,
i bought them at the balaji temple in new jersey when i went there couple weeks ago. yes, i heard about the not lighting diyas thing.. i lit some in my window anyway. :p

libran,
yaar! Happy Diwali! :)

hi monsooner!
thanks! i like that profile pic. and LOL!!! hell you won't get no julabs here! :@

ggop,
:) thanks girl. you too.

raj,
thanks, and yeah, some coincidence.

ferret,
:) thanks. and ROFL! no they don't give julabs!!!! :@ :)

klastos,
dude. you are so banned from my blog. :p.
that is heaven in a sugar-soaked delightful sphere, and my most favourite dessert EVAR.

sd,
thanks. hope you had a fun time. yeah- apparently the crackers are more of a headache than fun for some people- but i love em all.
p.s: yes, i made em. :)

sash,
same pinch! :p

qsg said...

Where is my share, i aks!

Rahul said...

NICE........:-)