Saturday, November 17, 2007

I have arrived!

L bumped into me two days after I had joined my new place of work. Of course, we made the desi-desi connection and got chatting. I impressed her with my fluent bengali and ever since that hallway chat, she's been always asking after me, how I am settling in, giving me tips on post-doc life, etc. etc. It was really nice to have someone looking after me like that. We met off and on and talked about visiting her sometime, "bring your sister and all also" she said, when I told her I end up at my sister's on most weekends. She even told me about some other friends of hers and said she'd take me to visit them some day. Me being me, I gladly and enthusiastically agreed, after all, I was keen to make new friends around this place.

Today I find out, L and her husband, and these other friends of hers are all involved in some kind of "business proposition" and if I had a couple hours, she would like to take me to their place so I could hear more about it and join them if I were interested. Of course, I luckily remembered about an experiment that needed attention right then. Heh. All my life I've heard of Amway and its derivatives, and how desis abroad are known for bugging people to join their little coterie. Now, for the past 6 years in small univ town lutom, I never came across those types. Today I got my first amway-type friend! I am so kicked! :)

12 comments:

Born a Libran said...

Welcome to America... the Amway way... :)

sd said...

You are lucky. Even in my lutom I had atleast met 3 different "Amway-type friend". In fact once an old school friend called me up and some where along a long conversation she mentioned a certain "conference" I would like to attend... I never spoke to her again:(

Coco Captive said...

No offence, but they can be quite a pain sometimes..
But if u are at it, u can have a bit of fun ... ask me how! :P

Tachyoson said...

Amway people and Jehovah's Witnesses , why do i find a similarity!?

you speak Bengali, thats curious...

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

libran,
:) thanks

sd,
lol. now i have to play avoidance tactics too.

cc,
i am told so. no, i have no intentions of getting into it.

tachyoson,
Jehovah's witnesses! :D.

aar haan, aami khoop bhalo bangla kotha shikhecheesh :)

lekhni said...

What is a lutom?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

lutom = little university town of mine
:)

qsg said...

@tgfi: Funnily enough, this past weekend, I had my first ever brush with Amway too! And to think I thought finally desis will talk to each other in Walmart - and they smile and are friendly - oh well!!!

Born a Libran said...

@qsg: Walmart is one of the favorite recruitment spots for the Amway types... I have had multiple people offering me Amway oppurtunities - both in desh and the American way...

Amey said...

I haven't gotten "touched" by one before, but I heard it is as common as meeting an acquint. from India in Bay area :D

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Amey,
hehe. I heard so too. Hence my thrill. :)

Neeraj said...

It just happened to me over this weekend (after all these years of only hearing other people's stories) and ever since losing this 'friend' I am on a surfing-binge looking at all the ways in which relationships have been ruined by pyramid schemes.