Sunday, December 09, 2007

Home again

When my phone rang at the "unearthly" hour of 6 am wednesday before last, I buried it under a few pillows and went back to sleep: I had just gone to bed a couple hours back and was too exhausted to even pick it up and cuss, which is what i'd have typically done. But when the ringing persisted, and I saw that it was my sister, I eventually answered. Her news woke me up. Our father had had a heart attack: my mom assured us that he was doing okay, but we decided that I should fly out asap to be with them. I am in hyderabad as i write this post, my dad is doing well and all is under control.

My dad was alone at home when he had the heart attack. After a few hours of mild chest pain that didn't subside by midnight, he called my cousins who live down the street, and they rushed him to a hospital near by. At the cost of sounding dramatic, these cousins and the emergency doctor there saved my dad's life. He was administered the right first aid almost immediately and things were brought under control. My mom, who was in our hometown 6 hrs away took the next bus and came to hyd. Two other cousins also came as soon as they heard the news, without even being asked to come. My mother and my cousin's wife calmly and efficiently managed the entire situation. My various cousins and uncles pooled together the money that it was going to cost us. The day after my dad's hospitalisation, our apartment was broken into. A few small things were stolen, but more than that it just added to the hassles my mother had to deal with.

When I landed in hydie at 3 am, this blog friend and her hubby came and picked me up and took me to the hospital later that morning. By then, my dad had had his angioplasty and was recovering. The storm had passed, things were calming down, and my job was just to keep my parents in good cheer. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of it, until one look at my dad's face at some point that evening told me that joking about an american boyfriend was not the best idea for a dad recovering from a heart attack. How was I to know? At least we had established that his reflexes were as sharp as ever. Heh. :)

Dad got discharged a few days later and we came back home. There is a lot of running around to be done, finances to be organized, and little things to take care of. I am glad I can be here to help out and be with my parents. Truth be told, no one ever saw this coming. At 62, my dad has been quite fit and my parents follow strict and healthy eating habits. Besides a history of hypertension, there were no overt signs in my dad. The only thing he neglected after moving to hydie was his regular morning walk. I cannot overstate the importance and the huge help our relatives have been throughout all of this. All my misgivings about my parents move from bombay to hydie seem so trivial now. We were lucky to get the right medical aid and my dad was in good hands throughout. I am thankful that my dad was wise enough to call for help that night, that my cousins were just down the street and for our relatives who provided rock solid support in all forms to see my parents through this. It has also served as an awakening of sorts for us: to be more mindful about health, financial matters and such. Most of all, I am thankful my dad is doing okay.

24 comments:

Sakshi said...

Glad to know he is doing fine. Take care. And my best wishes to your Dad.

ggop said...

Best wishes to your father for a speedy recovery. Glad you could rush back and be with your parents!
Thanks for taking time to update this space.

Abi said...

I am glad your father is okay after that scary episode, and is on his way back to normal life.

Good luck to you all.

TACHYOSON said...

glad to hear your dad's okay and here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

wishing you all strength

Jack said...

I understand what you been through. Glad that things are getting back on track! Take care! :)

BTW love your blog :)

Long time "Lurker"!

Rays Of Sun said...

Sending across HUGS<:D>
The blessings that we can count on are the ones where we can physically be there for people who mean the world to us. Your dad indeed has a blessing..Now see, in no time everything will be set:)Wishing a speedy recovery!!

Anonymous said...

Sincere wishes for you and your family.

Deeps said...

Glad to know your dad is doing good. Its really nice to know he had lots of help when he needed it. Best wishes to you and your family and hope your dad recovers soon..

La vida Loca said...

Wishing your dad a speeedy, 100% recovery :) Take care

GettingThereNow said...

Good to know your dad is doing fine. Aren't these times scary when our paretns, whom we see as strong individual since our childhood, fall sick or end up in the hospital?

**hugs**

GettingThereNow said...

Oh - and blogrolling you.

Tabula Rasa said...

scary!
hope things work out.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

all,
thanks for all your wishes. your words of strength and positive vibes mean a lot.

Born a Libran said...

Well, good to know everything has worked out... And great set of cousins you have...

greensatya said...

That was a scary episode. Glad that your dad is doing okay now. I wish him speedy recovery.

Hope things turn out to be normal pretty soon.

Take care

async said...

Boy!! That was one dreadful experience you've been through. No wonder you had not been posting anything for so long.
Good to see that you have tided over all this bravely. Take care.
BTW...this is Aradhana

Shripriya said...

Glad he's okay. Good to see you hanging in there as well. Good luck with everything!

Prashanth said...

OMG :-o

Good luck to you and your family, TGFI. Hope everything works out well.

Raj said...

Good to know that things are better now. Good luck with everything! :)

ferret said...

hey, am glad he is fine now. i had not logged in for some days, heard about it from aradhana, and the first thing i did today was to come by here. just be a li'l careful abt ur jokes now :)

its me said...

Glad to know that everything is fine.. take care :)

S said...

glad to know that he's doing good.

*HUGS*

~Sangeetha

neihal said...

Glad your dad is doing better now. Best wishes.
Its one of my worst fear, and I think one of the very few things that make me sit down and pray.
You take care.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

@ all,
thanks again, all of you. :)