Friday, February 22, 2008

Behind the lens

My grad school work never involved much "pretty" looking work..like taking fancy pictures at the microscope, doing three, four colour stainings and merging them and all that cool stuff. So everytime I was at a talk or at a meeting, I always was in awe of people who showed these colourful slides with beautiful images, using different colours to bring out their point. Now I am doing a lot of this stuff myself. After hours and hours spent in the dark room and playing with image editors, I am finally getting a hang of this stuff. I still can't make as beautiful pictures, but I am getting there. The best part is understanding and learning how it is done, realizing that something you always admired and held in awe is actually do-able by you. Such a happy feeling.

In other news, i am quite shameless. After resolving to keep decent hours, telling all my lab mates about resolve to get there early and leave early, promising my boss to show up early in the morning so we could touch base, I have slumped back to keeping obscene hours, staying back late, waking up late, mixing night and day...and the cycle continues. Unlike Lutom, this is a big lab and my erratic habits have an effect on the rest of the lab. I will also learn a lot more if I am around when the rest are. And its not even that safe, I don't think, to be returning home at such unearthly hours alone. I really don't want to do this. But i can't break the cycle. It's a hopeless addiction to indiscipline and being whimsical. I am also far behind on my reading, something I cannot afford to right now, given that i started pretty far behind as it is. Discipline needs to make an appearance. NOW!

11 comments:

greensatya said...

Hah! it is same thing like taking a resolution after class 5th exam that I would study before the exam from next time. Well, I was found taking the resolution in the last semester of my Master's !!

Real people never change :))

greensatya said...

I meant 'even' in the last semester.

aequo animo said...

For starters, you might choose to blog at a time different than 3AM :d
but again,w hat will we all do if you don't blog!!!.. Disciplined or otherwise keep blogging!!.
On a serious note.. you would age faster if you don't sleep at the right times..so, go sleep!

sd said...

"In other news, i am quite shameless." Sheer brilliance and eloquence - I say: p

sepulchritude said...

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When you ARE Rome...you get the picture.

Tachyoson said...

dont overwork. seriously.
it saps what little life work allows you...

Anurag Srivastava said...

Why there is always a zeal for improvement and guilt for not doing so. We will be better off in we keep on doing as per our natural instincts.

I am forced by some external forces to get up at at 6 in the morning and do exercises :(

Sakshi said...

I agree with being there when the senior lab members are - you learn a lot. Once you get hang of the stuff, you can keep any hours you like :)
Generally speaking, keeping obscene hours ruins any illusion of normal social life. So quit it already!
Ps - I need to catch up on reading too. So nag me and I will return the favor :D

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

satya,
OMG. so true about those resolutions to not study in the last minute. :p i am so glad those days are behind me now. :)

a a,
yeah- i blog at 3 am because thats when i come home and can't sleep. :/

sd,
*sheepish grin*

sepulchritude (ok, so did we decide on boyzone? )
what are trying to say? when you ARE Rome, do the romans? chih!
:p

tachyoson,
yeah, its not so much overwork as it is indisciplined working. :(

anurag,
i have a lot of respect for disciplined people like you who can get up at 6 am and exercise. if i give in to my "natural instincts" of laziness fir to ho chuka, nai? i think one must strive to improve within reason, but yeah, not beat ourselves over things all the time. that is most counter productive.

sakshi,
thanks for the reiteration, i needed it.
you want to become "read your literature" buddies with me?

Born a Libran said...

Totally agree with you... It does help to be there when the rest of the lab is...

And playing with colors must be fun :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

libran,
how ya been?? yeah tom. onw i show up early in lab..
yes it is fun :)