Sunday, February 10, 2008

The sound of music, live

I miss going to see good live music. Back in Lutom there were several opportunities. You could just be taking a walk around downtown and stroll into a bar when you liked what you heard from the outside. The music spanned a large variety and it was easy for me to find what I liked. Some local bands soon became my favourites, and I tracked them whenever they were playing. I also had one professor who played in a band (And hence my incurable crush on him :D) and a couple other friends who played and I tried to catch their shows always. Of course, of the larger live music experiences are the two performances I went to, Sting in 2004 and U2 a year later. That was quite some experience, quite a show, Sting was as sexy and as charismatic as ever and U2..well, they were just simply U2. Sigh.
Every summer in lutom we had this most kick ass music fest, which was all about walking around in the sun, several podiums set up where good alt/rock/jazz/celtic/indy music was playing. Something for everyone. There were mini-amusement parks set up for the kids. It was like a fair of sorts. I loved the atmosphere. Loved the sound of music. I am yet to find where to go in philly for nice live music. I am sure downtown would be the place to find it, but I feel less safe wandering about downtown Philly by myself than I did in lutom. Perhaps its the familiarity thing. Also familiarity for the kind of music...I am not sure what to find where. My taste is quite adaptable and largely inspired from what I get exposed to. Back in lutom we also had a big music thing going on in the dept., where the entire building shared their libraries on itunes, and I got to hear all kinds of stuff that I decided I liked and just picked up along the way. I just realised how much my listening has stagnated here. Just listening to my limited collection of classic rock and dhinchaak bollywood music. I need to start exploring again, my ears are getting bored.

9 comments:

Tabula Rasa said...

i definitely think you should. feel free to ask your local expert.

sepulchritude said...

I believe The Trocadero in Philly holds heavy metal (eye-rolling strictly prohibited!) concerts.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Professor TR,
thanks for that link, some good stuff there.

sepulchritude,
ha ha ha. good joke you cracked.
:p

La vida Loca said...

Living so close to NYC u r hard pressed to find concerts? ^^All puzzled

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

vida loca,
NYC is a 2 hour ride away. i am looking for stuff i can go to any evening after work etc..buy philly should have something to offer too, i just haven't explored..don't know where to start..

Pri said...

im suddenly very insulted. beta tlak to me, i will introduce you to wonderful music. it will change your life.

Sakshi said...

@TGFI - I thought Philly would have more to offer music wise - it is home of the Jazz and blues :)
But I guess I understand your dilemma since I am facing similar one now. I never thought I would say my hick town was more happening on the music scene than the dump I am in :P

@Pri - Pliss to post? We all wish to partake this knowledge.

Drenched said...

Oh, so, you're musically depraved, huh? Your Philly seems like quite a boring town...the worst for singles, no good music, chih!
Bars try kiye? Ya micro breweries?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

pri,
jee aunty.

sakshi,
i'm sure philly does. i just need to go find it.
but yeah, i miss lutom just because of the familiarity factor, i never had to look too hard there.

drenched,
philly is awesome. come visit :). i just need to find the right places..and living far from downtown makes it that much harder to do in the week..