Saturday, March 01, 2008

OOOOPS!

This blog just turned two! And I almost missed it. Check out the first post ever published on Deep Thought

"Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Reflections

What does it mean to be a scientist? The halo around a "Ph.D" implies that one has thought deeply about issues..relevant to the degree. But when I reflect on my life- i spend most of my time just getting experiments to work, generating data for a paper, writing the thesis. Once in a while, a paper/seminar inspires some creative thinking. But for most part it is trouble-shooting those teeny-tiny details of an experiment, just to make it work and move forth. Where is the philosphy of science? What is it?
I need to add value to my life, if I want to feel like a real Doctor of the Philosophy of my science at the end of it"


Awww.:)

Heppy Budday to yoooo dear blog!!! When I go through my archives, I think sometimes I like my older posts more than the recent drivel I have been writing. The older ones were more self-contained. Whether you like it or not, and even if you don't intend to, blogging eventually turns out to be writing for an audience in some sense. So you start explaining things you wouldn't if you were just writing for yourself and not responding to comments. I think that takes away some of the spontaneity and rawness in the posts. That said, I have totally enjoyed the interactions in the comments spaces, the support, sympathies and wisecracks of readers through this journey. Especially through the days of writing and submitting the dissertation and finally defending. I am certainly glad I documented the process in all that gory detail, it reminds me of how badly I once wanted to be where I am now.

Ah. So this certainly calls for celebrations. Cake and chips and drinks on the house. No smearing of cake business here, vun tite slap you will get if you even try. :@

Enjoy!

18 comments:

aequo animo said...

Happy BirthDay TGFIs Deep Thought.
Well, according to my theory I wouldn't be smearing cake on yo anyway.. but here is a cake for other potential smearers! :D.
Hope your scientist bit is not in the spirit of anonymity that pervades omnipotently throughout this blog ;)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

thanks a a . :)

no cake for potential smearers! :@

"Hope your scientist bit is not in the spirit of anonymity that pervades omnipotently throughout this blog ;)"

?? not sure i understood that? is that the bot spewing stuff again?

sepulchritude said...

Don't forget that at least two-thirds of the PhD involves data-Phitting.

"Cakes, chips and drinks on the house." One marvels at the absence of chocolates.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

:) i ate up all the chocolate.

sd said...

"I am certainly glad I documented the process in all that gory detail, it reminds me of how badly I once wanted to be where I am now." Three cheers to that.

Hershey Desai said...

lol, well you have read PHD...you should know how life is for a grad student..
2 years old. Its so sweet.. I never realized that you have been blogging for so long..
eep..all this while, I was in the presence of my senior.. didn't even notice :P

why would anyone want to smear cake? I would rather wrap my arms around the cake and go "mine...miiinnnnne"

am in a hurry so, catch you later.
congratulations for turning 2. Bring out the nonalcoholic champagne.

Raj said...

Happy Birthday, Deep/Shallow Thought(/s00)!

I hope the chips are fat free :)

shub said...

congrats :) one of my favourite, regular haunts this has become...here's to many many more years of blogging, if you so wish! (I hope you do)
Your sotd makes me wanna listen to that song NOW! so I'm playing it!
Happy budday, again!

[see I didn't smear any cake also!]

Pri said...

yayyyyyyy happy burday to you. your present has been mailed but i think i might have forgotten to put stamps on it. or an address. so i cant promise you anything. i can however dedicate this song to you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JF8xs0a2F8

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sd,
:)

hershey,
yeah, if you insist, some "non-alcoholic" champagne for you now. :)

raj,
omg! non alcoholic champagne, fat-free chips! stuff like that does not exist in my house!

shub,
thanks girl! :) good on you for not smearing cake. :)

pri,
thanks for dedication. the blog enjoyed muchly.

greensatya said...

Wow !! Happy 2nd Birthday to your blog. Loved visiting your blog all these years and the changes (deep, shallow, etc)

Keep growing and keep changing :)

Best wishes..

*toasting for your blog*

La vida Loca said...

happy bady to blog
take chocolates... not cake.. will be tempted to smear!

qsg said...

Happy Birthday to your blog! I celebrated it by buying me a macbook! ;) You go, girl!

Ms Taggart said...

Woow... Gems bought a macbook? Cool..

And one tequila for me, Lajjo! :)

Happy Budday Lajjo's Bloggie... U survived so long with Lajjo's rants... Hats off to u! :)

-Ms Taggart!

Klastos said...

I never realized your blog is that "young." I'm not much of an archive lurker. Happy birthday (to your blog).

aequo animo said...

That was just a verbose way of wondering whether you really are a scientist or faking it ;)
Obviously , you got it and you dodged it very gracefully :D
More obviously, I am quite jobless and still pursuing it :)). And definitely not a bot spewing stuff.. (the bot happens only for tags)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

satya,
ah! one of the earliest readers of this blog. :) thanks.

vida loca,
thanks (and glares) ;)

qsg,
perfect celebration! :)

ms T,
here you go!

klastos,
yes, the blog, like its author, is very young. :)
thanks (from the blog)

a a,
seriously, i didn't get it. :) but now i do. :p
yeah, in real life i am an artist who stalks grad students and writes about their life.

Drenched said...

Appy Budday to your bloggie! :)
*sings a cheesy line*
Blog jeeye hazaaron saal
*adds one of her own*
Aur TGFI ki rants aati rahein sada, even with safed baal

Okay, bad rhyming but still! =D

*smears cake and runs away before she can be caught*