Saturday, April 12, 2008

I was just kidding

I am pretty guilty of using that line every now and then: ( and its not to save my face, i really was kidding ) but chatting with a friend just made me realise how frivolity has taken over most communications and interactions these days. Hyperboles are used generously and when someone says "oh my god i am so frustrated i could shoot someone" you never really can guess when its really that bad. Tempers flare easily, impatience is the order of the day, rants are spewed at the drop of a hat, mindless casual flirting is all around. Chatting and sms (and blogging :) ) have made these things that much more easier. People bare their souls to any and every one. If you're getting to hear someone's heartfelt stories, its not so much a privilege, as it is that you just happened to be there. If its not sharing of deep and dark secrets, its mindless banter. "Timepass". There are no lines. Anything goes. I never know how much weight to attach to conversations or interactions these days. Hard to differentiate between "timepass" and words that are really meant to convey the meanings they mean. People crib galore about the smallest thing (yours truly included) and manufactured drama abounds in everyones life. Perhaps an indication of how easy we have things: that allows us the time and luxury to bitch about each and everything under the sun. Also perhaps an indication of some kind of prevailing emptiness, that we rush to fill up with things that mean nothing.


I also think that i suddenly sound like my grandfather.

10 comments:

Janefield said...

well written and bang on! sad but true.

Sakshi said...

Dear Naniji,
it is true that most people now a days suffer from verbal diarrhea. But I really meant it when I told you how much your comment policy and that post hurt me. really!

Raj said...

I don't know about others but at least I reserve the biggest, detailed rants for my friends and not just the first person I see. So I guess my friends are privileged in that sense.

La vida Loca said...

And mine too :P

sd said...

I do not agree with a lot you say in this post and yet agree with the conclusion:) [Not the `Nani' conclusion ofcourse :p ]

"Also perhaps an indication of some kind of prevailing emptiness, that we rush to fill up with things that mean nothing."

I vote for this post to be in the "Stickies" section.

Clast said...

I agree. Very profound.

Lively said...

Nice thought. But I disagree. If everybody thought on these lines we wouldn't have many of the interesting and 'good' posts on blogs. Ofcourse we don't blog it all out, do we? Atleast I dont. My very personal and very intimate emotions and feelings are reserved for the spl people in my life. But then who will you tell stuff when you don't have anybody listening? That's when you blog! :)
Or atleast I do.

Lively said...

Adn I like your posts and the way you write! So straight forward.

tgfi said...

I agree that this is not 100% true 100% of the time. but i just see it becoming more of a trend.

tgfi said...

& thanks, lively. :)