Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Reminder to self


<b>PLEASE APPLY FOR CANADA VISA</b>.

When I was in grad school,  I was once going to the U.K to attend a conference. As always, I was super-excited about the trip. Began planning months in advance. Where to go, what to do, who to visit. Scotland, London, trips were researched, tickets were booked, good friends who lived there were roped in, plans were made. Anticipation kept building up. Then what happened? About a couple weeks before my departure date, I remembered a small detail. I needed a UK visa and hadn't applied for one! I rushed and panicked and all that fun stuff, made two thousand and one calls to the embassy pleading and imploring to hasten my case, but this was neither death nor disaster. So they took their own sweet time, as embassies are wont to, and I got my visa a week after my ticket was scheduled for.

The plus is I hadn't missed the actual conference. I had planned to go a week in advance to do all this roaming around. Of course, all plans fell like a house of cards, money (in GBP, no less) was lost in canceling and rescheduling plane, train and tour tickets. Friends were disappointed. I just made it in time for the conference, and had an extra day to look around London or so. 

How could I be so stupid? I've done worse, so yeah. I am quite the wiz.

So I've made some of my plans for Canada, its almost like deja vu since I did a similar trip earlier, when I had a friend coming along and we pretty much synced all our preparations. So there was no scope of forgetting things like visa. This time, the detail actually slipped my mind until now. I better not "forget" now.

10 comments:

Patrix said...

Now don't forget to book your tickets.

Sakshi said...

Oohh. Dont forget your passport after you get the visa :D

But Canada sounds fun. Its bootyful in summer.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

HA HA you two
i booked ticket already!

i set myself up for this, didn't i? bring on the reminders.

sqrlnt said...

AAPS NBC?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sqrlnt,
EoUSA OC!

Kaala Kavva said...

oh [the f word]
how could you do THAT?
how could you ?
how could anybody for that matter?
How How?

meka said...

Specific query:
What visa did you apply for to attend the conference in the UK - business or academic or other?

I have to attend a conference in the UK too and would like to know which one to apply to. Thanks!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

i don't remember exactly, but it was the equivalent of a visitors visa. NOT business, NOT academic.
hth. and apply well in advance. :)

meka said...

thanks! it must be an academic visitor visa then.

tgfi said...

meka,
no no no. its the plain and simple tourist visa.