Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Can you please call now?"

How would you react if you got a text msg like that from your dad? My dad has this MOST ANNOYING habit of sending a one liner like that. Or "please call when you get time". It used to alarm me in the beginning and I would hurriedly call back only for him to tell me something totally mundane and nothing urgent. I then realised he was just using some preset saved message and just sent it whenever he felt like talking to me, or was just too lazy to type a more descriptive message. I wish he would include some context, or take out the "please". I have told him a few times, but of course it hasn't changed. Having realised these messages are not meant to cause panic, I have stopped panicking over them. On good days, I laugh it off as one of my dad's quirks and on bad days I grit my teeth nd mutter under my breath when I get a message like that out of the blue. Today I finally ranted it out here and feel much better...

But I always call him right away. :-)

10 comments:

Dee said...

yep , my mum calls at odd hours like noon for me.. it scares the shit out of me , plus she is adept at giving missed calls , all the more troublesome!

Sayesha said...

O.M.G.
I.Cannot.Believe.This. :O

I thought only my Dad did that!!!!!!!!

perplexed said...

my dad types in caps and without fullstops or comas. when he does that anything seems like an emergency! Like when he says WHERE ARE YOU CALL UP NOW. but Of course, i have now gotten used to it..

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Dee,
heh. I can imagine how that can be alarming.

Sayesha,
:) apparently the universal school of dad's forgot to include a lesson on this

perplexed,
LOL. yeah, i guess we all get used to it eventually. glad to know i've company. :p

Sachi said...

:) Nice post..I have similar experience.

tgfi said...

hi sachi,
sacchi? ;)

Pri said...

dude one time my dad attempted to send me a txt. this was way back in college and he got this confirmation txt 24 hours after he sent the txt and it said FAILED, as in msg failed. only it said priya failed. he freaked out and called me in class. i didnt answer. then he calls chinku sitting right next to me. the idiot answers the phone under her desk in class and gives me the phone. so now im under the desk whispering and my dad wants to know what it is i have failed. seriously parents must not be given cell phones.

p.s. u never put up a post thanking me for calling u with words of encouragement a day before your big travel date. sniff.

Ms Taggart said...

Thank God for little favors in this case.. My Dad doesnt SMS.
But my Mom knows how to give miss calls.
So imagine my panic when she gives 5 miss calls in a period of 2 mins, and sometimes no call for days together!!! And then when I panic and call, all she has to say is that some friend had a baby!!!!! Hmmmpphhh...

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

pri,
LOL! I will not complain for the next 3 times i get that sms from my dad. :)

ms T,
heh. moms are another story only. my mom makes my dad send all those smses! :)

satish said...

hehe