Friday, July 25, 2008

Some links

On the important skill of multi-tasking in your post-doc. A very timely post for me, so I thought I'd share.

I certainly spent postdoctoral time writing papers from my Ph.D. research, but I also worked on my new research projects and I enjoyed doing both. This fondness for having simultaneous projects at different stages of 'completion' has been a characteristic of my career, but I first discovered this during my postdoc.


And this one where the author Zuska blogs about her D & C procedure. I almost passed out half-way through the post while reading it, but decided to steel myself, drink some water and made it through the post.

I will actually quote her sidenote with which she ends the post, the post itself has all the gory and not so gory details of the D&C.

A side note on women and gynecological procedures:

Many women are survivors of sexual abuse or sexual assault. For them, even routine gynecological exams can be a traumatic experience. A procedure like a D&C, which places one in an even more vulnerable state, can be even more difficult to undergo. It's important to be able to communicate openly with your health care provider about your history. A good gynecologist will talk with you about your fears and explore ways to reduce anxiety. These can include simple techniques like making sure that the health care provider tells you explicitly everything that he or she will do at each step before proceeding, and checking in with you periodically to see how you are doing. If you find it difficult to advocate for yourself in this way, you may want to take a trusted friend with you to your exam. Most gynecologists these days are aware that sexual abuse and sexual assault are all-too-common experiences for women, and that they can affect a woman's ability to tolerate exams and procedures. But if you run into someone who is not sympathetic, don't just put up with it, or worse, avoid taking care of your health because of it. Find a new doctor.


FYI, A D&C (Dilation and Curettage) is a procedure that involves expanding or enlarging the entrance of a woman's uterus so that a thin, sharp instrument can scrape or suction away the lining of the uterus and take tissue samples. This is usually done as an adjunct procedure ie, other procedures follow the D & C. (see this for details)

4 comments:

Sakshi said...

As a general rule, I feel that if you are not comfortable with your gynae - change the person till you find someone you are comfortable with. You have to answer, question and in general share really private details with this person- not to mention check up procedures. Be sure to pick one you are most comfortable with. There is nothing wrong in shopping around your health care list for that one person you can get up on the gurney without discomfort for :D

ggop said...

TGFI, thanks for linking to Zuska's post. I underwent a laparoscopy last year and her observations are spot on. My doctor and attending resident gave me so many pain killers for pain management and more meds for side effects from the Vicodin.

I didn't use any however I cannot imagine going under the knife (or laser) without knowing the doctor gets you.

Totally agree with finding a new doctor if something does not feel right. I've heard of women being butchered in C sections by some ob/gyns.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Sakshi & ggop,
yeah totally agree...

Ms Taggart said...

@Sakshi,

Yes, I am with you on this! Though I am not a doctor of any sort, I have had too many experiences with weird gynaecs that at one point I tended to believe that all doctors are just insensitive!
So far, my experience with the gynaecs I met has been that, they believe that they are existing only to ensure that a woman has a baby, and not to take of the woman's health!

Thankfully, after a lot of patient search, I got a good one...
I can only think what would go through a woman if she gets a procedure as traumatic as a D&C from an insensitive person!