Thursday, July 31, 2008

W.o.m.m. 26

I just found out about two of my classmates from grad school who have landed tenure track positions at big big name universities. These were people from my session..they did graduate a year or so before me, but even then..that means just a 2 year post-doc period!

It leaves me feeling many things..am really happy for them..they were both really nice people, very smart too, always willing to answer my questions when I had doubts etc. Granted that in their sub-field which is so much more theoretical, publications move faster and the short post-doc is not all that surprising. I have pretty much kissed good-bye the dream I ever had of getting into the tenure track rut. It has very little appeal for me now. But a small part of me is going to feel sad every time I see someone else go up and do it, and wonder what if..(And then I immediately recoil and remind myself of the reasons I made my decision).

Ah well. I am supposed to be inspired by this news. I'll try. :p

--------

The key to letting go is to really, truly let go. Not let go superficially but comfort yourself secretly that you may get it back some day.

3 comments:

Sowmya said...

"The key to letting go is to really, truly let go. Not let go superficially but comfort yourself secretly that you may get it back some day."

- I have never seen this better put. I guess it takes courage to see it like that.

Ms Taggart said...

The last lines are good!

One unsolicited advice here - Never compare yourself with people of your age group, in the same profession!
I learnt it the hard way, after loads of disappointments and feel-bads! :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sowmya, ms T,
I just realised that I do that a lot in the name of letting go. (convince myself that there would be another chance at it).

as for comparing, yeah, sometimes its inevitable, though..