Sunday, August 24, 2008

For your listening pleasure

I just rediscovered a bunch of cds I had "lost" when I moved. It's the happiest feeling ever in the midst of all other misery in my life these days. Amongst them are two nice desi/part-desi bands, have been around a while. Do check out (if you haven't already)

The Unseen Guest

From their page
They manage to incorporate Western music with traditional Indian instruments in a way that makes it genuinely new, avoiding patchouli-scented cliché or Bollywood bombast.

and

Thermal And A Quarter

They like to be called TAAQ if you must, not T.a.a.Q. Some more trivia on them from their page:
"9. Thermal And A Quarter is perhaps the only rock band in the world that has not written a single song with the word 'baby' in it"

:)

P.S: (still on blog-break, came up for some air)

10 comments:

shub said...

ooh reminds me, I must dig up my TAAQ cd as well! I love their name and the reasoning behind it :)

shub said...

will check out the other band.
And as for "P.S: (still on blog-break, came up for some air)", aw c'mon get blogging already! We miss you! :P

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

shub,
what is the story behind the name? i don't know..
yeah..i will resume soon..after i finish some long overdue tasks.

shub said...

ohh they started out with 4 guys. Three were Mallus and the 4th guy was quarter mallu. Three mal and a quarter :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

hahha! good one!

ferret said...

i love the name and the story too. and that is probably the reason why they don't have the word baby in their songs either,, u know how baby kutty doesn't really sound lyrical :P

ferret said...

and u know this blog break is almost like some ppl who r trying to quit smoking :D

sepulchritude said...

Rockers who use "baby" are rappers...and plain morons. Baby Kutty? Good one. It's what I've named my secret diary.

Sakshi said...

I hereby register my hartal. Pliss to be posting.

And can you send me some tracks to listen to? Will be a perfect bribe to induce me back to comment spamming again.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

ferret,
LOL @ baby kutty. good one. and no comments about your snide comments about my break. hmph.
:p

sep,
heh. i think you need to start all posts with "Dear baby kutty"
full cool that will be. :)

sakshi,
will send u some tracks soon..