Tuesday, September 02, 2008

This, that and the other

1. I stuck to my resolve of no work this past weekend. Of course I had to check in to do some routine stuff to keep the cells alive etc., but that's all I did. I feel so relaxed and refreshed. Went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art. My first time there which is sad considering I've been here a year. But better late than never, I guess. It was a lovely afternoon. Had only enough time to check out the Nandalal Bose exhibit that was going on. Also the European Armour Museum. Nandalal Bose's paintings..especially the ones on Shantiniketan reminded me a lot of my dadu. My neighbour's grandfather and thus mine too...Dadu was big time into art and poetry and always encouraged me to find place for it in addition to academics. Dadu lived in Shantiniketan during his last years and still has a lovely house there that I want to go see some day. For now, I have resolved to go to the PMOA more often. Hopefully catch one of the Friday Jazz nights sometime soon.

2. So in my refreshed happy mood I decided to pick up a few groceries on my way from the gym. I was biking back home, wind in my face, humming a song, thinking about my experiments, and didn't realise that the plastic bag tore and half my groceries flew out. Chota mota stuff but still sucks. I backtracked and picked up most of it but am missing a small packet of some spice. But it was kind of funny too. (For the record I always carry my backpack or a grocery bag and avoid plastic bags but this was on a whim and I didn't have any bags...) I stopped at the seven-eleven and got a milk crate to tack onto Chameli now, to prevent such occurrences in the future. :)

3. Happy Ganesh Chaturthi all of you!!!!!!. I really miss Bombay and home now. :( Some years ago, I'd get by with these pangs of home-sickness during festivals by telling myself that its a question of a few more years and I'd be back home, enjoying all of that. Now it doesn't seem that simple any more. Or that certain. Makes me all the more sad. :( :(

Anyway, Ganpati Bappa Morya! :)

8 comments:

sd said...

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you too TGFI. I miss modak and Mumbai too!

Sakshi said...

Bappa Mourya re!

I miss Ganpati-Gauri too. Sigh!

Ms Taggart said...

God.. I thought u were on a blog break, and here I see you writing posts regularly.. :)

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi to you too.. :)
Wow.. ur Dadu was in ShantiNiketan? Coooool..

V said...

Pudcha Varshi Laukar Ya.

Is that right?

chirpy-paaro said...

Happy ganesh Chaturthi... its my second Ganpati festival in Mumbai... And somehow I am not able to enjoy it much..since it hell crowded everywhere....

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sd, sakshi,
yeah..big time bombay-sickness eh? haan sd, and the modaks too...

ms T,
you're not keeping up with my blog! the break was over. ;)

yeah. my Dadu was all kinds of cool. One day if i can gather myself I'll write a post on him.

v,
that is abso-lute-ly correct! :)

chirpy paaro,
you're in mumbai! ah! go enjoy the crowds..its a part of the celebration.. :)

Mosilager said...

happy ganesh chaturthi. never been in bombay when it takes place but i'm sure it would be lots of fun. mmm.... lots of photo opportunities.

that was pretty funny reading about the groceries. hope the crate works better.

cells... man... i miss cell culture. maybe someday i'll get some bhk growing in my lab.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

mosilager,
indeed..its crazy time in bombay and the celebrations and crowds are quite spectacular.
yes, the grocery incident was quite funny, and haan, the crate serves me well and suits chameli nicely. :p

me and cells are not the best of friends these days :/