Thursday, September 11, 2008

W.O.M.M #28

On being too hard on oneself: If it spurs one on to better their performance each time, its probably worth it. At least its working. But if that is an end in itself, almost like beating yourself up is a punishment for bad performance and you let it rest at that, deluding yourself that you've made amends for the poor performance via all that self-beating, its really a lost cause. Might as well be happy with mediocre performance, and well, be happy.

No?

Then do better.

And with that, I shall stop being hard on myself about being hard on myself. And will try to stop being hard on myself too :p at least when its serving no purpose except overall misery.

In other news, I've a glimmer of hope that one of these really hard experiments I have been busting my ass on might be working. It's kinda sorta too premature to tell, but its the best I can offer now. We will know soon. Watch this space! :)

After all the let-downs and unsuccessful experiments in the recent past, I still get that flutter in my heart :) as I go to check the results after repeating an experiment for the nth time. It seems like I'll never learn the art of detachment. Science is, indeed, an abusive lover.

----------------------------

Some day I will be able to stop pretending that I am too cool for some things. Some day I will be able to admit to my feelings. Some day, soon. It can't be that bad. It could even be nice, if I let it.

11 comments:

V said...

What are these experiments you keep talking about? If you're well on your way to become an evil scientist, we could work on a possible partnership, I've got tons of evil ideas for global domination. I draw inspiration from Dr. Evil.

La vida Loca said...

i agree :)
so are you back? cant tell for sure! Health is ok?

Sakshi said...

So true - but abusive relationships also suck you dry. So I advice you to get out :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

v,
yeah, i'm working on making tiny people in petri plates right now. when the army is ready, i'll let you know.

l.v.v,
i'm back, baby! :) health is a-ok! thank-you :)

sakshi,
yeah, i agree.

chirpy-paaro said...

Couldnt understand much.. :(((

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

c.p,
sab bakwaas hai. you didn't miss much. :p

Hershey Desai said...

hmm...humiliate yourself so you do good next time, or pamper yourself on your average perfomance...

lets see.... i prefer, pampering myself on a job well done, and if it turns out like crap, then find someone to blame it on:P

Naturally you should start trying to do better coz eventually you will run out of people to blame.

which experiments are you conducting?
Chemical variety, electrical, psychological...artistic?
or is it a social experiment.

getting curious now.

seems like a social experiment... more like..relationship issues.
This is where I take off before I give advice that will potentially bite me in the butt later.
See ya.

Ms Taggart said...

Science is indeed an abusive and passionate lover..
Otherwise I would never understand why people spend so much time in getting their PhDs, when they could be off doing something else which would get them loads of money.. :)

This is why I respect you Doctor-without-a-medicine-degree lot! :)

Mosilager said...

Yeah... amazing how a lot of our emotional lives are connected to the experiments. Or lack of experiments right now in my case. Someday soon my equipment and I will be united.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

hershey,
Naturally you should start trying to do better coz eventually you will run out of people to blame.

good logic.

i just told v what kind of experiments i am conducting. working on making petri plate people. :p

ms T,
haan, thanks for adding (and thus reminding me about) the "passionate" part . :)

mosilager,
may the force be with you..may you get your equipment without further ado! :)

Ivy Leaguer said...

What kind of bootleg school do you go to anyhow?

Learn English. And how to type. Then try the whole blogging thing again.