Thursday, October 16, 2008

More on superstitions

OK, my life in the lab is not really looking up these days so here's another post on something antipodal to science. While on the topic of irrational beliefs, one of my closest friends (also a scientist) has the most annoying blind belief due to which she refuses to be in a photo with her close friends. She believes that the friendship suffers if she takes a photo with them! I know! Stupid, silly, very annoying and the reason why I don't have a single photograph of her and me. Always bugged me to no end.

Our friendship has been one of the most rocky friendships I've ever had, for a variety of reasons. But it has stood the test of time, misunderstandings, spats, disagreements, distance and everything in between and beyond. Today a mail from her completely out of the blue brought me out of my bad mood and got me thinking about her and her silly superstitious beliefs and how just a few lines from here had such a happy effect on me..and I realized, for whatever its worth, I'm glad we don't have a picture together. :)

8 comments:

kochuthresiamma p j said...

superstition is anything irrational? but can everything be brought within the ambit of the rational?
i have a couple of posts on this. http://pareltank.blogspot.com/2006/10/superstition-or-lost-wisdom.html
my more rational friends refused to comment on them:-)

V said...

Can I get her number? Thank you.

gradwolf said...

Lol, there is a superstition that says your life time reduces with each photograph you take... :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

kochuthresiamma p j,
I'll come read what you have to say soon..for the confines of this post, there is no logic to the belief that if you click a photograph with a friend that friendship will suffer.

v,
um, no. and you're welcome. :)

gradwolf,
haha! i never heard that.

sepulchritude said...

By the Second Law of Thermodynamics, the photographed people have changed since the shot was taken. The parameters of your friendship have been irrevocably altered; to an extent, the person in the pic is no longer your friend, and vice versa. Ergo, the "old friendship" has been effectively destroyed.

chirpy-paaro said...

I wanted to buy this beautiful silver ring for onhe of my closest friend...But she had a superstitious that this breaks the friendship....
I wonder will she not wear a ring on engagment???

Sakshi said...

Touch wood. :P

Hang in there. Lab things will always have its lows and highs. Mostly lows but ... still :)

shilpa said...

Nicely written...human beings can be quirky sometimes..as lab can be too!