Tuesday, November 04, 2008

On finding the right response

I've been in difficult situations of late. Not knowing what would be the "Smart" thing to say, trying to protect my interests, dealing with sticky situations, risks, etc. I have also screwed up by being upfront and brash, so I have learned the hard way to take things slowly, think before responding, etc. I have been consulting with a few good friends, briefing them, taking their opinion. As one would imagine, opinions are conflicted, people come from various perspectives and not necessarily aligned with your own. I am tired of repeating my story to 2 or 3 different people, but I remind myself that one's gotta do what one's gotta do. I take in these different opinions, sit back, evaluate, and find myself coming full circle. Responding in exactly the way I'd have done in the first place: that is, to tell the truth. Be straightforward and frank. Because at the end of the day, its important to be open and honest in order to be understood.

Hope it works.

5 comments:

ferret said...

hav u ever made a whole story up, it has to be totally made up, completely a lie. it should be so fool-proof that it is believable to u too. and since i assume u to be as self-righteous as me, you should also think of justification for lying. but it's ok, leave the justification out for once, and just try the big lie. tell me how it goes, ok :)

Tachyoson said...

AlL the best,tgfi

blackmamba said...

As someone said rephrasing the big O of the moment (yes, Obama)

that truth does not win itself; you have to build a working consensus around it to make it win.

The point is - telling the truth, bring straightforward and frank is all good. But, the question is, what are you trying to accomplish? Will telling the truth as it is help? Obviously, I am not here making a case for lying, hiding facts or making things up. I am saying, there might be a way to express it so it makes sense from the listener's perspective.

sigh...

anyway, long time lurker. And I am clearly on election coverage withdrawl. don't mind me.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Ferret,
LOL. I wouldn't trust myself with something like that. I am a terrible liar.
Tell us your story.

Tachyoson,
thanks pal.

bm,
:) Clearly a case of election coverage withdrawal, if you could quote O in response to this post. :p

Jokes apart, yeah, I see your point. And I agree, it is as important to make the truth palatable, and that is a learned art.

ferret said...

well most of my stories in the context would be about begging for attendance at the end of every semester in college,, too long and too many to write about here :D