Thursday, December 18, 2008

More on alternative careers in science

When I was in grad school, a professor held a class called "Non traditional careers in the life sciences". Each student picked a non-traditional career option and found a few people in it, interviewed them, we had a questionnaire we prepared in the class and all of us got these questionnaires answered by whoever we were interviewing. It had questions like job satisfaction, pay, what the work involves, how to get in, etc. etc.

I am in the process of packing and moving and hope to unearth my notes from that class. It was a good way to get a feel about what else is out there. Will post more when I find those notes. But I just remembered what a great idea the class was. Any one who's ever going to be in academia or is already in, must think of conducting a class like this. Grad students in the life sciences, may be you could suggest this to a suitable prof.

4 comments:

ferret said...

I think it would be great for any discipline to have such a class. And not just at grad student level, before that too.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Ferret,
I agree. a good course towards the end of an undergrad degree or any kind of specialization.

Hows boston treating you?

ferret said...

i was in Boston for just that one weekend, i am back to good weather now :)

Kristy said...

Definitely agree. That sounds like a great class. I wish my university offered one. We did have a career day that was along the same lines. Anyway, I am in the process of creating a website that provides information about alternative careers so students can have one place to go and get the info they need to pursue an alternative career in the sciences. Check it out at www.alternativescicareers.com

Let me know if you are interested in providing any content to help out our fellow students. Also, feel free to give me any feedback (positive or negative). Thanks.

Kristy
Alternative Science Careers