Saturday, December 13, 2008

What do i want to do eventually?

My renewed highest priority goal during my next stint is not to publish, find ground-breaking discoveries, write a proposal, or anything. It is, to aggressively research, explore and find out what I want to do for a living. If its bench science, then in what capacity? If not, then what? I will brainstorm on this time and again, and want to remind myself not to lose sight of this goal. For every idea I want to explore how feasible it is, how to go about it, what it would entail to get a job in that field.

Some of the ideas I got are

* Research associate type position
* Creating teaching tools for science students (very exciting..what prospects?)
* Mentoring students, teaching positions..
* Industry R & D
* Science communication, outreach, liaison..work for scientific organisations..

Feel free to add in comments

12 comments:

sepulchritude said...

It's like looking into a mirror...without knowing who the reflection is.

- National Labs
- CSIR, if you want to return to India
- Obama's Science Policy team

Tachyoson said...

May you find it,and soon.And may you genuinely enjoy what you do,without the people around pulling you down.

greensatya said...

Join some relevant UN body (travel + money + satisfaction)

Industry R & D - Job satisfaction + good money...

sd said...

I think Greensatya's comment is cool. In fact for some time I have been trying to find opportunities to work with relevant UN bodies myself (although something that does not involve traveling for me!)

Sujatha said...

I only know of these through ads - what about places like Exxon-Mobil or Conoco Philips that say they are doing outreach to students?

Sakshi said...

@SD- You know of UN jobs for biologists that require traveling?? Then please let me know. I am in. Any place, any time!

sd said...

@TGFI - Question for you. Did your father buy Lilavati's daughters online or from some book store?

@Sakhi - Sorry. I do not have much idea, especially, for positions relevant for biologist. If I come across something, will let you know.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sep,
good ideas those.

tachy,
thanks for those good wishes buddy.

satya,
yeah, UN body is another good idea. I will look into it. thanks.

sd,
yep I agree.

My dad got Lilavati's daughters through a friend in Bangalore who went there to the Indian Academy of Sciences and bought it. I think you can also write to IAS and see if u can send them a dd and have them mail you the book in India.

Sujatha,
interesting idea. must check out! thanks!

Mosilager said...

I moved from bench science to a clinical lab. It's great seeing the effects of your work immediately... and affecting so many people.

for those looking for UN jobs - have you tried unvolunteers.org ? You can submit your CV and they'll call you if they have anything. (Farfetched I know but there's been a couple of people who've gotten in that way).

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Mosi,
thanks for the tip about unvolunteers.

may be you could do a post about what u do? if u don't mind? thats awesome though, keep up the good work.

Cris said...

Hmm Science Journalism?

tgfi said...

Cris,
yeah, that had in fact crossed my mind some time ago..