Monday, March 02, 2009

Assorted thoughts

I've been here a month but have yet to get a paycheck. I'm teetering on the edge of zero balance and trying not to build up any more credit card debt. So I have held off any non-essential purchases until I get paid. That includes curtains and internet, amongst others. I am not sure if any of those are non-essential- the curtain-less apartment/ bedsheets held up by clothespins look is driving me crazy and every time I am online at home piggy-backing on sluggish wireless, I get all riled up and frustrated as if I am entitled to a full speed connection from my neighbour's apartment without paying for it. Sigh. The department secretary said she would put in a request for a pay advance while the payroll department sorted out my papers. So lets hope things get better soon.

We had crazy snow today. It was a pain to walk in, cold as hell but still a beautiful sight once safe and warm indoors. I wanted to go out and build a snowman but was already late for work. And on my way back all of it was mingled with keechad and not so beautiful any more.

Note to self on windy days: leave the dangling-hook ear-rings behind, safe at home. Lost one of a new pair I picked up for Rs. 25 from General bazaar during my trip home this time. Pah.

I miss blogging. I don't do much of it mostly because of this internet situation. Also been busy with moving, settling in, etc. I long to write decent sized, well constructed posts as against random collections of W.O.M.M and such.

I have resolved to pay attention to what I wear to work. I carried over my scruffy t-shirt & jeans look from grad-school into my first year of post-doc, and it was never an issue. But I noticed that a lot of post-docs around me took care to dress well, so when I began here I started with adopting a "no T-shirt to work" policy. I am enjoying it, actually, and it doesn't really take me that much longer, just some more thought. On this trip to India, I asked M to gift me a pashmina stole/ scarf and she, in typical M style, ended up getting me half-a-dozen of them, pashmina and silk, in different colours. Now I get to try them all out and co-ordinate with my outfits. That is fun. :)

That is all I have the time for now. So much more on my mind, but I will have to blog about it later.

9 comments:

Sakshi said...

I've been here a month but have yet to get a paycheck.

Aww. I know the pain of that one. Bureaucracy sucks.

Boy said...

Nicely written :)
I hope you get new earrings soon.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Sakshi,
yep. They have promised me an advance now, after I went and ranted in the office for five minutes. Lets see

Boy,
thanks :-) The latest fashion is different ear-ring in each ear. I might just have to resort to that. ;)

Ms Taggart said...

Ahem.. I see you have anonymous visitors on your blog who sign their name as Boy.. :P
@Boy, please don't mind. I am on a leg-pulling spree.

Btw, isnt shawl co-ordination more tougher than no-T-Shirts?

tgfi said...

boy oh boy. :-)

oh yeah, scarf/stole (its not shawl) :p co-ordination is harder than no-tshirt, but its quite fun, mainly because i have all these new ones that i'd never have a chance to try out otherwise. :)

Born a Libran said...

Hope you got ur hard earned cash by now... I can live without a lot of things but high speed internet aint one of them... :) But the iPhone keeps me busy when I am at a place without the wifi...

And whats all this jazz about post docs wearing decent clothes n all... I am joining the "Tees it is for me" post doc union...

Born a Libran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

BAL,
Tees it is for me

put that on a T-shirt! :)

Tachyoson said...

hope you get paid soon , TGFI