Thursday, March 05, 2009

So close yet so far

Again and again and again. I've gone through cycles of sheer frustration, depression, absolute hatred and "push yourself" - type self-motivational bursts to keep me going. in addition to encouragement, words of comfort and silent listening ears proffered from good friends and my parents. This May, it will be 2 years since I graduated. But my paper has yet to see the light of the press. 5 3 revisions, no less, with the same journal and same set of referees and cycled through different editors. Stupid stubborn arguments. Nit-picky pointless corrections. Never end. Frustrating long distance collaboration and discussion, dealing with different peoples' schedules, deadlines and priorities. The paper is never top priority for all the authors at the same time.

I really did not want this ghost to follow me to my second post-doc. At this stage, I would be happier off complaining about a post-doc paper, not still ranting about my phd paper. I even spent 4 days of my short 17 day trip holed up in my room in India this time working on this beast. It just gets exponentially harder. And then the thought of revising and resubmitting to another journal is not really encouraging because we feel like we've gotten this far with this one set of cranky reviewers- and for "such a good journal". I guess that's the carrot at the end of the stick that has kept me dangling thus far. And the fact that the decision is not mine alone. I've reached the end of my tether now. Unready as I am to call it quits, I am just going to take a long, deep breath and dive into this again.

Sigh. Bawl.

6 comments:

La vida Loca said...

There there.
The joys of Post doc life/academe. *sigh

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Like I said, at time I should be bitching about postdoc papers, I'm still struggling with my phd paper. Thats what sucks the most, honestly.

Born a Libran said...

5 freaking revisions.... Why are you still sticking to the same journal? Not thought about sending it some other journal? BTW, for future info, which journal is this?

Tabula Rasa said...

sympathies. the paper i used to refer to as the "first" paper from my dissertation got accepted last month, five years after it went out. (it was rejected once for being too complex and once for being too simplistic.) several of my other papers have gotten through in the interim, far more easily. one just has to believe in the law of averages and keep plugging on.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

BAL,
it was actually 3 revisions, 5 resubmissions because of other issues (Editor changing, me missing the deadline and the article getting bumped off the system automatically..)

Its not so much the journal's fault, i must say. They have been sluggish, but I have been dragging my feet even more.

You should be able to find out the journal in the near future, hopefully. ;)

Professor TR,
Thanks for telling me your story. Yeah, I'm hanging in there..and plan to also get up to speed on my new stuff and not let this hold me back any more. (There's no reason really)

P said...

uhoh...this is scary..I have to finish one last paper from grad school too. hope your get accepted this time. good luck.