Thursday, March 12, 2009

W.O.M.M. #39

So I tried to keep from writing another W.O.M.M. post so that I'd actually take the effort to compile a decent post. That was not happening. So I caved in to the temptation of yet another W.O.M.M.

(For the uninitiated, WOMM = What's On My Mind).

I can actually hear the person in the apartment above mine snore. Yeah, I kid you not. Its so eerily clear that when my phone rang, I was whispering on the phone, feeling like I was talking aloud in the same room as a sleeping person.

I had a bunch of visitors over the weekend, the first visitors at my new place. I love having people over. I love the loudness and noise and laughter in the house. I totally enjoy the planning, the cooking, and the in-between getting hyper. :) And also the fact that it forces me to clean up the house, the effects of which last for a week at least. :)

One set of guests were totally unexpected. That made it even more fun. My childhood best friend's kid brother (L, not a kid now) and his 3 friends were spending spring break in the city and needed a place to stay as their hotel reservations didn't work out. As they made their way to my place, they contemplated picking up some beer, but decided against it, as L was afraid that "TGFI-didi might be offended"). Heh. Imagine his surprise the next morning when he opened the fridge to find some food. I was not at all surprised when I woke up and found him already on his first beer of the day. I managed to do some touristy stuff along with them and also meet up other common friends..all in all was fun to be a part of 23-year-old silliness. :)

My pleasant surprise moment was when I came home on Monday evening from the lab to find that these guys had cleaned up my place. The trash, recycle etc. was taken out, the sink was clean and the floor was swept clean. I totally did not expect this, least of all from this bunch of holidaying youngsters who just came home to sleep, even less so from "my kid brother L", as I was witness to how he was spoiled growing up. Made me very happy, very proud, and very thankful. There are few things better than leaving home with a full sink and coming back to an empty one. Just like that! :-)

They've left now and the place is kinda silent again. Except of course, for the snoring from upstairs. I guess I should go sleep too.

Oh Oh Oh. I finally saw Slumdog Millionaire and did not like it. The soundtrack was really good, and the movie was pretty slick. I am not surprised it won those Oscars, though. It definitely played to the galleys, especially the Western audience. The scene were the white woman gives the kid a bunch of 20 dollar notes after he has been beaten up by a local guy ..saying "I'll show you what America is all about". What was that? Ugh. At some points it was almost parody. I couldn't stand how Anil Kapoor's accent switched from Indian to British while speaking English, how his character was pretty exaggerated (no game show host would treat anyone like that). I could not relate to slum kids talking in English, or the local goon saying "Make me a sammich!". (And the wife making him a lettuce-sandwich!).

Film-making is a business after all (Danny Boyle apparently said at the movie premiere that he did not intend for the movie to send out a social message) ...and I don't think it sent out any social message. It reinforced (mostly true) stereotypes of slum-life..and was built around a masala plot. In that sense, it was just another movie and I have no issues with that. I realise that the movie was made for an international audience, so I'll just say I couldn't get myself to enjoy it.

7 comments:

sd said...

I did not like the movie much either.

Gradwolf said...

Right. 23 year old silliness. I was in the city touring with some first time visitors past weekend like L and gang. I am also 23 :p but it is all the more fun to observe first time visitors to this awesome city!

ggop said...

Your guests are very sensitive and are dream guests!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

sd,
haan. :)

gradwolf,
indeed it is. so you're saying the silliness is not age-related, but common to all tourists, eh? ;)

ggop,
I know! How have you been??

Anonymous said...

What about the time when people downstairs could hear you umm.... ?

What's In A Name!? said...

I've not even seen the movie and don't even intend to. Just don't feel like! :p

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

WhatsInAName,
HEYA! :)