Monday, May 04, 2009

Where do I start?

Lab life: Pretty damn blah. Nothing to write home about. Am still doing some basic exploratory experiements, to create preliminary data to base my project off of. Those are stuck at various stages. So, I am, really, behind.

Still doing well in the make-it-into-lab-by-9AM-or-so department. :)

I did make more friends in and around the lab / hallway to exchange some decent hallway gupshup. So that's nice.

I have also tainted my no-lab-on-weekends record finally. It was about time, I guess. But I honestly don't mind going in for a couple hours or so on the weekend, it helps re-orient me so that I don't start cold on Monday morning. So long as I manage to pack in some fun in the weekend, I feel okay about going in to work too.

OK, still drawing from past glory but I have to share with you: the paper from my phd that finally went to press..has risen to be amongst the top 20 most accessed papers in that journal for the last month. It may not necessarily translate into a proportional impact factor / citation count, but it still feels good that so many people wanted to read it. :)

Non-lab-life: Has been rocking. Met up with my friend M, and that put me in an awesome mood for days together. There's something to be said about the good uplifting mood old friends put you in.

Bumped into an old acquaintance from my grad school days...someone I used to meet only in conferences..but hit it off with well....I totally love such chance meetings, and now I know I have someone cool to hang out with here. Looking forward to doing some fun things with her.

Went to a nice concert: Zakir Hussain, Mandolin Shrinivas, Vikku Vinayakam, Shankar Mahadevan and a host of other brilliant musicians. Not sitting with my friends faded in comparison. Lovely hall, great acoustics, mostly a good show, except for parts that were not-so-great.

Have gotten some exposure over the past few weeks attending events, webinars etc. to start thinking about career-planning, alternative careers, etc. A blog is about to be born to keep track of all that. Watch this space.

OK. Am going to cook something fun now. What will it be? May be sambar.

7 comments:

Gradwolf said...

Guessing this was the Remember Shakti tour? It's a good one but I see Jack Mclaughlin missing....

Sakshi said...

Sambhar is fun???? Hey bhagwan, kya karein is ladki ka!

Born a Libran said...

As I read cooking something fun, sambhar maybe" I was totally echoing Sakshi's thoughts out there...

tgfi said...

gradwolf,
yeah, that's the one..

Sakshi and BaL,
all you sambar haters! I love sambar. and cooking it is always a challenge because it turns out different each time. Hence fun. hmph.
In any case, I didn't make it. :)

Born a Libran said...

I cook the sambhar too and knowing Sakshi, she cooks it too... But we don't call it exciting or fun... Thank you...

Fun is something exotic that you cook once in a while... or something you cook only cos you like it so much you want to cook it the way u like it... Gajar Ka Halwa comes in latter category for me....

Satish said...

from the start.

tgfi said...

Bal,
tehre you go..i cook sambar only once in a while..and i like it..and i cook everything the way i like it..so there!
AND i enjoy making it.. :)

satish,
at the start, there was a girl..