Sunday, August 30, 2009

The weekend that was

Was great. It morphed from a sulky rainy friday to a sunny saturday. I had to drag myself out of the house given my rotten mood, but I had no choice but to go to this wedding. A small very private ceremony. A very pretty bride and and a smiling groom by her side. A dozen friends of the couple. Vows exchanged and the couple was married within minutes. The lady mayor who conducted it was a really friendly person, accommodating our loudness and also offering to take photos of us with the several different cameras that were being toted. I was really expecting a staid mayor and a more formal, clinical process, but the whole thing was actually very nice and warm. Some informal photo-sessions in picturesque downtown. A fun-filled lunch and wine and good food and all that good stuff. This was far from your typical desi wedding, but had all the elements of mirth, warmth and happiness without the unnecessary frills. There was no stressed out family, no overbearing photographer, no cheesy photo-albums to show for it. And oh, No gift registry either! :) I liked it very much- I have always been against the expectation-laden and big money-spending fest that weddings often tend to be. This was pretty close to my idea of a nice private ceremony- with a few modifications that would involve a temple in India instead of a court, include my immediate family (and consequently exclude the wine. :p) etc.

It also fulfilled some of my wedding-craving -after having missed all my friends' weddings over the years. it was nice to finally attend the wedding of a close friend, to be part of the celebrations of their big day. And even though it was amidst a bunch of people that I didn't know- they all made for very nice and friendly company, which I think was largely a function of the wonderful people the bride and groom are. Cheers to the happy couple!

No comments: