Monday, October 12, 2009

Meet the parents

B the boyfriend went to meet my parents in hyd. My sister and I had discussed prepping him for this momentous occasion, but we finally realized that there are some things in life nothing can prepare you for. So we just let it be. In retrospect, I wish I had prepped him on a few basic things- like to not say "Yes" each time coffee was offered- or warned him about ugly swing..

Copious coffee consumption & ugly swing aside, I think it all went well. My dad went to pick up B from the guest house he was staying at. While B expected my dad to be waiting downstairs, my dad somehow managed to find his way up into the lobby right outside B's door. So when B came out expecting to see the guest house manager, he was face to face with my dad, and totally lost and clueless. Once they successfully overcame that awkward introduction, they set out home. Then on the way some car banged my dad's car and more drama ensued. But on the streets of hyd this is an everyday occurrence. So I guess that one was just brushed aside and they moved on.

Coffee # 1 was offered as soon as B got home. He readily nodded and downed one cup of my mom's awesome filter coffee. There was general chit chat..B met with my grand dad and then got offered and unflinchingly accepted coffee # 2 along with samosas. Now in my house we don't drink coffee as if the plant is going to go extinct or as a replacement for water. Coffee is had once in the morning, and may be once in the evening, if at all. But it is offered, for the sake of courtesy and in keeping with true south indian hospitality. Soon after coffee #2 it was made known to everyone in the room that they were out of coffee powder. B was also witness to a mini-argument between my dad and mom about who should've remembered about the coffee being almost over. One would think he'd make a note to refuse further coffees. Nuh uh- he hastened to add that he then overheard my mom asking my cousin to pick up some coffee powder on his way to our place and so felt reassured. How nice indeed.

At some point I called, and my mom, dad and B were in the balcony enjoying the view. After my dad and mom spoke to me, they passed on the phone to B and apparently politely left the room, one after other, so B could talk to me at ease. Heh. :) B said he was having a nice time, but it was not until I prodded (how could i have not?) that he told me in a shocked whisper that there was this hideous swing, and, to top it all, a green parrot atop the swing that he had to try really hard to not stare at. I sympathized and suggested keeping his head bowed down rest of the evening to avoid looking at parrot.

The family then went out to dinner..more conversation..now my cousin is a bit of talker and can get quite carried away discussing politics/economics/cricket/music what-have-you. Apparently B would notice my mom glazing over every now and then and so would cleverly bring up my niece Kavita and her antics..and succeed in making my parents' faces light up each time he did that. Smart fellow. For dessert they ordered Qubani ka meetha and an argument ensued about whether it was anjeer or apricots and B sided with my mom first, then finally decided it was a mix of both, trying to appease all sides of the argument. Well done there too. Then they returned home and called it a day.

Next morning there was coffee #3 and #4 and breakfast. B insisted on seeing some of my childhood photos. Now this part I forewarned my parents about, but it was of no use. They brought out all the albums that were there around, and I get to hear, from B, later on, about an "awesome" photo of my sister and me grinning, standing in our nighties. Also references to my "bob cut". Why, I ask, WHY? And B also noticed that I was frowning in all my childhood pics while my sis was grinning from ear to ear. Well, she clearly had more practice than me, given that there were such few photos of mine ever taken. I'm sure poor me was wondering what one was supposed to do when confronted with that black thing. Anyway, that saga is for a different day. B got my dad to take out his photos of his university days, and talk about them- my dad did a lot of talking for the generally quiet person that he is. Then the conversation drifted to food and B made the mistake of telling my parents that he doesn't eat brinjal and got the patent mini-lecture from my dad about how one must eat everything etc. etc. Hahahahaha! I'm so glad! :)

Later they had lovely Andhra lunch made by my mom, followed by payasam and post-lunch as they sat around chatting my dad was nodding off to sleep sitting in the chair. My dad always does this, and he manages to snore too - it can be very embarrassing. So my mom tries to cover up for my dad and B manages to laugh it off and say "Yes aunty, TGFI does it too". WTF. Then the fool gets asked, by mom , "She does it too? How do you know". (implying, were you two living together, by any chance?). And so B has to hurriedly cover up with some lame ass "once we went to a friend's place for dinner and a movie and she dozed off...". Yeah. Not cool.

Some (more) coffee and payasam later its time for B to leave for the airport- my dad takes him to the airport and they enjoy more chat about my dad's university days and B's family etc. etc. Apparently there was never a bored awkward silence moment.

When I called my parents to get the low-down, they were both very happy and upbeat and full of praise forthcoming for the boyfriend. I expected my dad to say "nice guy" and leave it at that, but he was way much more generous and vocal in his approval. While I never really doubted that this would go well, it was so nice to hear my parents so enthusiastic and happy about it. They said all the good things they wanted to say, and their parting lines were:
my dad: "Congratulations TGFI, very good choice". :) (aww)
and my mom: "But he drinks a lot of coffee, no?". :)

25 comments:

Pri said...

what an adorable story! can i steal it if i ever make a movie?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

You're only saying that because you want to see ugly swing.

ANd blog woman! I hate that you're twittering shittering and not blogging. hate.

V said...

There go my flowers.

Thanks, TGFI!

This will be my last comment. Jane and Ms. T will fill you in on the rest.

shub said...

awww! Loved the story! And the 'how do you know' bit was hilarious :D

La vida Loca said...

awwwww
Cool!! congrats

Mr. K Bodhi said...

I am not surprised. In the 1960s cameras were rare. Thats why they don't have many photos of you.

They don't love you less. It's just that you are so old now.

Gradwolf said...

Straight out of a movie eh? Congrats TGFI! About the last line, "moms will be moms"!

Born a Libran said...

Nice...Can see how happy u r from the enthu u have while writing this long post... :)

Macho Girl said...

Thanks for the thoughts you left for me. You have no idea how much that has inspired me to stop sitting and complaining and start doing something.

I already found a teacher here :) :) :) Only a matter of time before I get back on track!

And oh, my violin is on its way from India!

chirpy-paaro said...

Hey...nice one... Congrats!!! How do you know part was awesome!!!

sd said...

Congratulations TGFI! It was quite a sweet narrative.

tgfi said...

V
fir "my last comment here" waala nautanki lekar aa gaya. I've heard that before, somewhere... :)

Mr. K. Bodhi,
heh. my sis is older than me.

shub, lvv, gradwolf, bal, chirpy-paaro, sd,
thanks folks, yeah it guess big deal for me- enough to make me want to chronicle it and share it...

MG,
you have no idea how happy your comment has made me..keep us posted!

Sakshi said...

1960s... bwahahhahahahhahaha.

And now we transition into mommy blogging...

tgfi said...

sakshi,
And now we transition into mommy blogging...

inshallah. tere muh mein ghee shakkar and all that.

Shalaka said...

Such a sweet post! Made me remember the first time I brought my then-boyfriend-now-husband home so my parents could meet him. All the best to you and B for a wonderful life ahead! :)

v said...

Yes but this time I mean it.

tgfi said...

shalaka,
do share your story, if it can be done while t.w.o.h :)

v,
uh oh. so sad to see you go!!! :p

Shikha said...

awwww....i had a little tear in my eye as I read this story...khushi ke aansoo and all - i so want to give you a hug right now!!!! :)
All the best...reminded me of a similar visit, not half as interesting, but great, nevertheless!!!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

shikha,
come over and give me the hug! i could totally use one.

and also hear your stories.. :)

S said...

congrats, tgfi!
that was so very sweet...wish you both loads of happiness ahead! :)

-sangeetha

Deeps said...

Still LOLing at the "How do you know?". God, men can be so blatant sometimes :-p.

Loved the story and glad that it went so well. I know you must have had a worry eating at you in some corner of your mind :).

tgfi said...

thanks girls :)

Kits said...

I loved reading this. Poor chap, drinking those copious cups of kapi man. :)) Niceness indeed

mileu said...

Nice story and well told. Happy for the Happy ending!

tgfi said...

thanks, mileu, kits, - i don't think he drank coffee out of niceness- he's a coffee-addict! :)