Tuesday, December 22, 2009

W O M M

I have come to this blogger page several times in the past few days, just to vent out and left without typing anything because I just didn't feel up to it. I have all kinds of holiday blues now. Taking time off before the rest of the world does is not such a brilliant idea after all. :p

We worry so much about things out of our control..I have gone into a downward spiral over the past few days, worrying about my parents, their health, my dad's retirement blues, my grandfather's health, fiance's brother's surgery..OMG. It's got to stop. Life happens, and one just needs to accept that stuff is bound to happen along the way. We make the best of it, deal with shit, find joy in the good times and just move on. Life was never meant to be fair or perfect. I need to remind myself of this little ditty every once a while.

Also, there's only so much worrying one can do for someone else. At some point, you've got to let go and give the other person the credit for being able to deal with their situations.

There's a dept. party today..I hope that it cheers me up..but I doubt that will. I need to start going back to the gym- I know that did wonders for my mood.

I will also brave shopping crowds and sticky sweet christmassy store music and go shopping this weekend. I need a serious winter coat. And a decent pair of shoes that won't turn to mush and freeze my toes when I walk in snow-puddles in them. And may be some nice new clothes? :)

I promised to list a few happy things to pep me up. Amongst them are 1) I have some kind of a plan taking shape as far as my job search in India goes. I went to a job-search seminar some weeks back and they mentioned that the one year it takes for someone to find a job is not all about applying to jobs for a whole year. It is actually building up a network of contacts, researching companies and job profiles to identify what you want, so that, when its about 3-4 months left to finish your current job, you are in a position to write customized cover letters for each position/company you plan to apply to , and have an internal contact in each place that you send your cv/cover letter to. So I am working along that plan, already managed to find a couple contacts, and that feels good.

2) I also have a lot of plans work-wise for my daily lab-life, to keep things structured and on-the-move. That plan looks good. And there's the post-doc fellowship I got! :)

OK, I think I did a fairly decent job shaking off all that negativity, so off to work I go!

8 comments:

nitish said...

So even you're going India-job-hunting, eh? I have the same time line and contact-pataofying in mind.

La vida Loca said...

hug

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

nitish
so you're saying you could've told me that without me going to the seminar,eh? :p

LVV
thanks babe. :-)

Tachyoson said...

you miss the positivity ... a loving family AND a fiance !

happy holidays!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

yes tachyoson, you're right. :) Happy holidays to you too

nitish said...

Quite the contrary. It's good to know that I'm not messing things up for myself! Please continue to attend such gigs and post the synopsis online.

Anonymous said...

You, casually, not the expert?

sd said...

Congrats on the Fellowship. Happy new year.

-sd