Saturday, March 06, 2010

It is sinking

(in). Several friends ask me every now and then how I am feeling about the impending wedding..and I've never had anything to report. Truth is that it was still in the distance..and what with me not really involved in any preps, there was nothing tangible for me to associate with a wedding looming in the horizon. I have done the wedding shopping thing during my sisters wedding, and it is really the least favourite of my things to do: so I couldn't even pretend to be excited about that. Things that preoccupy me the most are getting work done, getting data, and getting a month off for the wedding and enjoying it guilt-free. Still, it was nice to have people ask because those were the only reminders I'd have about the fact that I am getting married soon. Friends exchanged their wedding stories and gave out tips- and I heard them and moved on, still worrying about experiments. Then close friends started asking for details so they could make travel plans- and it started getting a little real. Some enthu people started their own countdown to the day, something I haven't done yet :) . The time is creeping closer for me to go in and ask my boss for that month off: and that is daunting. My parents recently moved into their own flat in hydie and my dad always commented on how he wished for me to join him in enjoying chai in the balcony and the view. I have stayed there for the first time on my most recent trip and it is truly fun. So today on the phone my mom was telling me how my dad was musing that I wouldn't really be enjoying the flat as much as he'd have liked me to-now that I'm getting married. That's when it hit me: the idea of not going home to my parents the next time I visit India: the idea that, despite all those filmy connotations this brings up, I am, indeed, introducing a new component in my life at a closeness that, until now, was exclusive to my parents. My parents are now actually going through these motions, in the midst of all the other wedding-related tasks. And that's what it took for the whole marriage thing to sink in for me! Sigh.

6 comments:

Dewdrop said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dewdrop said...

Hey, It will all sink as time progresses. Till then, have fun with your experiments gal. And wish you a very happy married life :)

qsg said...

:) the realization has a way of sneaking up on you! And this is only the beginning! Enjoy....excited...almost time!!!

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Thanks girls. :)

La vida Loca said...

whatever gets u there! It stuck me strongly only 1 week before I actually got married...
So dont worry...

Arpz said...

you bet. The look on your parents' face makes it real like nothing else. The joy/sorrow kinda feeling leaves you totally confused.
Hang in there