Sunday, May 09, 2010

This mothers day business

Question to all you readers out there- how many of you, that grew up in India, and around my age group (er..like 25 or older ;) ) celebrate mothers day in India? Do you give your mom something or, if you're a parent (in India), organise something for yourself or your wife on this day (May 9th) ?

I never grew up with this concept. I began noticing it in the recent years and wrote it off as an American holiday. My niece and sister celebrate it, but then my niece was born in the U.S. and it makes complete sense for her to do it.

But a couple years ago my dad asked us why we didn't wish our mom for it, and that she was waiting for us to call/wish. I was taken aback. In all honesty I couldn't get myself to do it. I gave my mom my shpeil of not believing in this, it was a hallmark holiday etc. and only had relevance in the U.S. But I felt slightly guilty. Sometimes, it calls for budging on our convictions if it is simple enough and makes another person happy, right? I am not so sure. I didn't wish my mom today either. I casually mentioned that my friend's son did something sweet for her for mothers day. Then ended up wondering about the whole thing again.

And so I wrote this post. Humor me, will you?

ETA: While we're on the topic: a friend's 9 year old son made a very cute card for his mom, with a nice pink flower crafted on the top and a cute little rhyme on the inside that said stuff like "Take a break from mopping, go shopping, go catch your favourite show, while i help out with the chores ..etc" So I asked the kid- this is very sweet- when are you going to do all of this for your mom- and he nonchalantly replies "Oh- all that is just written for fun- I don't have to do it".

14 comments:

Drenched said...

I think anyone in my age group (20-25) wouldn't relate to this whole Mother's Day business either. I remember that it started getting big just around 6-7 years ago but I've never really wished my mum. On her part, I don't think she expects it. I did talk about it on one Mother's Day (thanks to the 16 trillion articles and ads about in the papers) and she just laughed it over saying that every day is a mother's day or some such jazz. Anyhoo, even if you don't believe in the whole concept, I don't think that it's a big deal to wish your mother if she really expects it. After all, what does it matter as long as it makes her happy? Don't we sometimes wish strangers and casual acquaintances on birthdays just to make them happy?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

i'd wish someone a happy birthday bcos i believe in the concept of celebrating a birthday- even if that person is a stranger/casual acquaintance. i wouldn't wish anyone happy valentines day or happy pink chaddi day just to keep them happy...but then again, mom is not just anyone...so I paused to wonder...it just nags me- i cannot get myself to say "Happy Mothers day, mummy!".

ferret said...

I agree with you, i've never really said Happy Mothers day or Happy Fathers day,,, if one of us siblings is with them on that day, we might just attribute anything special or out of ordinary done on that day to Mothers / Fathers day. But never really done anything to celebrate the day especially.

Neha said...

I dont 'believe' that you need a special day for showing how much you love your mom, but my sis and I always plan a surprise for our mom on this day..like getting her flowers, or chocolates or something she likes.

P said...

I was in the same situation too!!
My mom told me that if I were in India, she would have got a gift on Sunday. My mother-in-law said that she checked e-mail couple of times on Sunday expecting at least one of her sons/daughter-in-laws will send a card or something but nothing came :(
My reaction was: 'huh..when did we start celebrating Mother's Day?'
I think Mother's day celebration started in India around 7-8 years ago.

La vida Loca said...

to me this like valentine's day- mostly pointless. But I do wish mom and mil. That's it. It's equally important to be nice to them other times too, no?

anantha said...

+1. Same thought. Never done that when I was in India before. And I feel guilty.

அகிலன்(Akilan) said...

These greeting card & gift industries are doing all sorts of hooplas to sell... Its not long before these sponsored articles in media starts declaring mother/father-in-law day, first spouse(?!) day etc.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Thanks for commenting, all of you. I'm so happy to hear that I'm not alone in this dilemma. And LOL @ first spouse day. :D

aequo animo said...

Well, Consumerism might have given birth to these "**days", but if the Ideas/thoughts are good and if you have a non consumerist way of celebrating it.. why not?
Wishing on mothers day to make mother smile is easier than changing diapers :D

The Bride said...

I guess I'm the lone voice but I did celebrate Mother's Day as a child. Maybe because I'm Christian and the Feast of St Anne was celebrated as Mother's Day. So it would be announced in church and some sermon would be given about mothers and my dad would get my mom flowers. However, I think the International Mother's Day is on a different day and at some point it got confusing. Never celebrated Father's Day though, and last year my father suddenly said how come you didn't wish me on Father's Day. I was a bit stumped.

The Bride said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GusF_Finkbeiner1209 said...

志不立,天下無可成之事。

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

aequo animo,
i agree..why not. when it comes to my mom, i'll go with that.

the Bride,
hmmm..so u did celebrate mothers day? interesting. and now you have to celebrate fathers day also. :)