Sunday, May 30, 2010

W.O.M.M

Sigh. I am feeling tired and drained. Sometimes all your efforts to remain positive and cheerful and practical just get sapped- and you face this gaping in-your-face negativity that you don't know how to deal with. Life is like that, I guess.

As is wont of the see-saw that is life, things have been looking up in my lab-life. Got some exciting data and while it is not novel or something that hasn't been reported already, the cool thing is that it was generated in our lab and I taught myself the analysis from scratch- a very transferable skill that I have picked up and hope to master in the coming months. And a very enjoyable skill too- given all the high-throughput methods out there, I think it is important to be able to analyse data, know the finer tweaks of such analysis, to make the best of the data and interpret reams of results into that prized "candidate list". And it is such fun to get the first peeks at such data and be able to make sense out of it. Also, being informed about the downstream analysis helps you plan experiments more wisely. So yeah- I am kicked about the little but hard-earned successes I've had at work.

Things are also slightly stirring on the job-search front. I have at least one "informational interview" lined up for when I visit India for the wedding. At a time when most applications and cvs don't even get seen or acknowledged by companies, I feel happy about this. I am also seeing a lot many more ads out there by Indian Co.s in pharma/life-science than I ever saw before. That is also a good sign. I have more or less decided to go the industry way to start with, and, if I'm really unhappy, then consider academia at a later point, once I have given industry a shot. I feel like this is the best time for me to branch out of academia.

Today I am going to go out, soak in the sun and enjoy the city with a very close friend who is visiting. Part of me doesn't want to burden our one day together by unloading all of my worries and sob stories on him, another part of me knows that will happen, and knows he will make me feel a lot lighter about all of it. Most of me is just excited to get to see him and explore the city with him. Yeah! :)

No comments: