Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Happily married!


I loved most every bit of my wedding! I loved getting pampered, being the bride, not having to be involved in any of the organization - just sitting back, relaxing, playing silly games with my niece while my parents, sister and b-i-l did all the running around and all the hard work. I'd be lying if I said I didn't go through moments of feeling angry and sad that there was so much stress on my parents, but at some point I learned to set it aside and just enjoy the ride. And in sum total, I had a blast! I loved my wedding saris, and how nice I looked all decked up- I loved how so many of our close family friends made it all the way to my hometown for the wedding- even though none of them know telugu- and my hometown is not a simple flight away from anywhere. When I saw all these uncles and aunties-who have seen me grow up - show up and fawn over me and join us in the wedding- it felt great. I realised that I missed out on so much wedding fun having missed all the weddings in my family and in my closest friends circle- that I had the most fun at my own wedding. :)

[Pic: The moment just before the "muhurtam" - at the exact time of the muhurtam the barrier is removed and the bride and groom place this paste of jaggery and jeera on each others heads and the sticky gross looking mess is thereafter left on the hair - but this is the most significant moment that defines the marriage- the jaggery and jeera paste signifying that bride and groom are now supposed to be inseparable thereafter through life's sweet (jaggery) and bitter (jeera) times. B and I made sure we did full justice to this being inseparable business ;)]

The honeymoon was superb too. We went to Coorg and stayed at Kadkani resorts which I highly recommend: thanks for all those suggestions to my earlier post...

Throughout my stay in India, I couldn't help thinking about how challenging R2I is going to be- I saw in practice all the things B cribs about daily life- I saw at close quarters how it is going to be to live with his father and for all of us to cope with his dad's illness- and I got tired of people - fully aware of his dad's condition- asking us why we are not staying back in the US. In spite of the inconveniences of life in India, leaving India was the hardest part.

I just got back and while the seamless internet, my spacious apartment and general peace and quiet and ease initially make me feel happy, I am suddenly aware of this huge gaping distance I put between B and me in an overnight flight. I am full of mixed feelings now, but hope that as I get back to work and get into the groove here, I will feel a lot better and learn to organise my thoughts and take things one day at a time...and naturally veered to the blog to offload my thoughts before I go off to work.

16 comments:

Iksha said...

Congratulations and a very happy married life :)) Now that you are hooked for life, the journey is going to be even more exciting, adventurous and satisfying. Just don't stop loving and giving and you'll inturn be rewarded with a lifetime full of companionship and joy.

Congrats once again.

-Iksha

青卉 said...

生命就像騎單車一樣,除非你停止踩踏板,否則不會掉下去。.......................................................

Dewdrop said...

Hey, wish you a very happy married life. So excited to see that you enjoyed your wedding to the fullest. Hope the marriage brings in more happy moments to your life :)

P said...

Congrats and wish you and B a very happy life together! The jaggery and jeera ritual sounds fun :p
All the best for your move back.

sd said...

Many many congratulations TGFI!

Gradwolf said...

Congrats TGFI!

aequo animo said...

Congatulations & Good wishes to both of you. Just take the R2I plunge and dont read any blogs about it.. you will do fine. ( I felt fine)

shub said...

Congratulations :) Loved the post.

And B deserves to be called H now, yes?

Boy said...

Yay! Congratulations to both of you. And all the best for the future. :)

satish said...

congratulations!

visajet said...

long time reader, delurking to say congratulations -wish you a meaningful and successful life ahead.

Sudeep said...

Visiting the blog the first time though have been following for a while now via reader. Congrats to you and B and wish you both a wonderful journey ahead.
The jaggery thing must be more fun to watch :)

chirpy-paaro said...

hey dear... read your blog after years...and was so happy know u married...congratulations!!! have a amazing married life!!

bhakit said...

Congratulations and best wishes.

-Bhakit

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Thanks all of you. ... :)

Tachyoson said...

TGFI : Enjoy Life and dont let little rainshowers spoil your sunshine together!!