Thursday, August 26, 2010

The ice cream truck

Of all the cities/neighbourhoods I've been in the U.S., I've never found the ice cream truck to be as ubiquitous as it is here. Complete with that typical ice cream truck music too. In fact, when I first moved here, I always wondered what that lilting tune was that I'd hear at the same time every day. it's almost Pied-piper-esque. I don't keep ice cream at home- well- I'm incapable of "keeping" ice cream at home because I inhale it all within no time, so I don't keep any. But I think its great to be able to give in to that odd 9:30 pm ice-cream craving and run down the stairs following the chiming sound. I just got myself a yummy chocolate softee that I am thoroughly enjoying as I am typing this.

I was trawling the net to find out what that tune is that the ice cream truck plays and found out that there is not a single ice cream truck tune, in fact there are several. Makes me wonder if I missed the truck in other cities because they played a different tune? But I also don't remember seeing one in other cities..

I don't think I'm going to miss too many things about this neighbourhood- but this I will.

2 comments:

Kits said...

I am going to miss regular sounds when I move I think - newspaper fellow ringing bell, pav wala with his bell, general noises of life. Sigh.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

You know- even before I read your comment- I wrote a post about the "noises of life" around my apartment! ..:) mostly jotted it all down to save the memories. :)