Thursday, September 30, 2010

On job hunting and resume-distributing

I really ought to have more patience with this, but I don't. I get very frustrated when people send me their resumes, not asking for corrections to it, but, asking for it to be forwarded to contacts for a job, and, they have really shoddy resumes- multiple fonts, sizes, typos, formatting, all of those and more! I don't know- these are people a lot younger than me, and presumably with a lot less exposure. But they have bachelors and masters degrees- that ought to count for something! And, they have net access. It is not so hard to google "how to prepare a resume" and follow the numerous most basic tips all over the internet. When I get back to these people with corrections to their resume, they reply that they are really desperate to find a job and therefore in a hurry to put their cv out there, without bothering to run it through a spell-check. What gives? That is such an innately futile move, I cannot even bring myself to comment on it.

Sigh. This is fast becoming a pet peeve.


7 comments:

Raam Pyari said...

Thats surprising...most of the CVs i get to lay my hands on are immaculate.....vague sometimes but certainly without such mistakes.....but then it takes all types of CVs to make this world i guess :)

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

I have seen a few good ones too- of course I don't rant about those ;) but these unpolished ones- to the extents of spellos and typos- really get my goat.

nitish said...

Haven't been keeping up with you in a while so have you scored a job in India?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

No not yet. You got one for me?

and how rude.

nitish said...

I've got one for myself at GM Labs in Blore. Will see if they have a "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" offer. Back home in Dec.

Top priority now is to re-enter Tigfee land.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Congrats dude! I've heard good things about that place. I'll keep you posted ...we can exchange R2I woes next year. :)

nitish said...

Look forward to it. R2I is the way to go.