Sunday, October 24, 2010

The weekend that was

My sis and niece came and spent the weekend with me. I had always thought about taking my niece around the city, showing her all the cool stuff and treating her to some of the best cupcakes I have ever eaten here. I finally got to do all of it and more. On Saturday we hung out in the city pretty late into the evening, taking in the crowds, the craziness and more. Against all my principles, I even took her to that big toy store i won't name and give google hits to.. :) Eventually my poor niece got tired and decided to hail a cab very expertly, all on her own. I was so proud of her taxi-hailing skills. Thereafter, she'd point to every swanky building that came in sight and ask "Is this your building, TGFI-pinni?" :) I wish. :) Speaking of cabs, another high point of the weekend was zipping about all over the place in cabs, as against long-ass subway rides, as that's my sister's preferred mode of conveyance :). Little surprise, then, that her daughter is such an expert cab-hailer. It totally spoiled me and in addition to the sadness I felt after putting my sis and niece on their train home and having to make my lonesome way back, I found myself complaining about the "long" subway ride I had ahead of me (one that I otherwise routinely do) and wished I had asked my sister for return cab fare too :).

On my second twenty-ninth birthday, (just the other day), a really nice guy played sport and brought a cake that wished me a happy 29th. This time though, I got none of that, as my niece insisted on announcing loudly in public that I was THIRTY-TWO years old. Sigh. What to do? May be I'll come around, eventually. Today we got to take part in some fun halloween stuff in the park followed by a yummy brunch in the city joined by my close friend N who was could most identify with my joy of doing stuff with my niece .The gorgeous weather was the icing on the cake, making it a super birthday weekend. Also threw in an impromptu trip to N's house which was even more fun. For probably the first time ever, I have uploaded photos from the day within record time, and couldn't help noticing that all the pics taken at at N's house have the most fun-filled, natural smiling happy faces in them. :) And over the past three years, no matter how rocky or strained my friendship has been with N, she has managed to make each of my past three birthdays so much fun - even the one time she was not here. That takes special talent. :)

On the train ride back home I began getting sad about coming back to my apartment and facing the week tomorrow. Things with nasty coworker reached a new low on Friday and I had a pretty bad blow-out with my boss. But I stopped myself from going down the misery trip so quickly- I was still riding my birthday high. As my sis and B have told me, this is life, this is the real world. I will face a lot more jealousy, pettiness and distasteful experiences as I go on and I just have to keep myself above others insecurities and not let them become mine.

So I go to bed with warm and happy thoughts. Of a lovely weekend- and an exciting week ahead, with a friend visiting tomorrow, bringing me gifts from B :) , and some interesting data waiting to be analyzed. Happy birthday to me. :)

14 comments:

la vida loca said...

happy birthday to u

transmogrifier said...

This is such a warm, fuzzy post :)
Happy birthday TGFI!

musafir said...

belated birthday wishes maam :-). Have a great life ahead.

phatichar said...

Hey..happy belated b'day, girl! How've you been? :-)

don't worry, I still think you're in your twenties...hehe

anantha said...

Happy birthday. I read your feed all the time. So makes sense to delurk once in a while and this occasion just demanded it. Happy birthday :)

Dewdrop said...

Happy Birthday TGIF :)

thucydides said...

Happy Birthday!

this post is such a great pick-me-up for a monday morning!

Neha said...

happy birthday!!! :)

gargimehra said...

Happy 2nd 29th Birthday (though belated)!

TGFI said...

Thanks all of you :)

shub said...

Happy birthday to the oldest 29-year old and the youngest 3*-year old I know ;)
This post made me smile and smile, for some reason :)

Tachyoson said...

cheers and happy 23rd b'day ... 23 is better than being 92 , dont you think?

ferret said...

wish you many many happy returns of the 29th b'day :)

SF-1 said...

Seems you had a wonderful birthday celebration... A perfect ending to a memorable day...