Sunday, November 14, 2010

On self-righteousness

Self-righteousness: confident of one's own righteousness, esp. when smugly moralistic and intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.


I have been accused of being self-righteous on several occasions. To reinforce it, let me say that I never understood why it was a bad thing. :) Finally H broke it down to me superbly. That there is no point in arguing for " the right thing" because a) it is extremely relative and b) we don't live in an ideal world. So in doing so, and doing it vehemently, aggressively, I only end up looking smug and arrogant. You'd think I'd have figured it out by now, but perhaps my thick head was in the way. :p

3 comments:

Amrita said...

self righteousness is often confused for arrogance - but only the right people can afford to be arrogant :-D

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

:) don't egg me on.

SF-1 said...

I think that in lyf we are faced with situation where we have to stand for the truth.. if not fir the truth then atleast for the faith we believe in. We have to stand for ourselves. We have to fight for what we really believe in deeply and there's no harm in that. But choosing those things very wisely is the key.