Tuesday, November 30, 2010

WHY

Is writing such a paralyzing activity? WHY?

Is there anyone out there, who simply puts pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard, and writes away, without feeling like running away, getting distracted, etc? How do you achieve that kind of efficiency? I'd think having an outline is a start, and then focusing on each bullet point and trying to flesh it out, without getting distracted, staying focused on just that point. This is what Ph.D.Advisor told me to do. But I seem fundamentally incapable of it.

I have been "working on writing" this review article for the past 5 days now. Mostly it has involved reading the literature, getting distracted into tangential areas, doing dishes, baking a cake, blogging, worrying, reading some more, wondering, doing benchwork instead of writing, and finally, the lowest of the lows, hiding from boss.

All so familiar too.

Sigh.

5 comments:

aequo animo said...

fear of failure?
Anyway, This approach works for me:
1) Write whatever comes to your mind ( grammar etc are a don't care here) on a media of your comfort ( notepad, paper pencil, ppt??)
2) Keep it out of sight for a day/hour/sometime
3) start writing based on the scribble
4) Rinse and Repeat :d

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

aequo animo,
good advice. I think the mistake I have been making is pressurizing myself into leaving stuff till the last minute and expecting to get it all done in one or two sittings, when it really needs the "keep it out of sight for a day/hour/some time"...

P said...

same boat with you on this one :( see I'm reading blogs for last one hour to avoid writing!

SF-1 said...

I guess we all share the same feeling.. Whenever I think about "Start" button, I wish I do not have to open "Run" window and if by any chance the Run window is open, I pray to God I won't end up typing "WINWORD.EXE" there.

The moment I start writing something, I fall asleep within 5 mins. Otherwise I can be awake for more than 20 hrs a day.

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

P,
sigh, I think we shd just factor in distraction time when we plan for writing.

SF,
I have the EXACT same problem regarding sleep- i think its stress induced in my case- my little escapist route- I always tend to go to sleep- even if I've had a huge mug of coffee- when I'm faced with writing.