Friday, February 04, 2011

W O M M

In preparation of my husband's arrival from India, I have.....the dirty dishes and laundry waiting. Because compared to me, he lives like a king in Bombay, what with Kantabai to do his cooking and Meenabai to do his cleaning. Therefore....

The weather sucks. From beautiful snow we have gone to slick icy surfaces and all the snow piled up and frozen into ice mountains on every block and corner. Today I slipped and fell on my butt. Falling in snow doesn't hurt as much, but falling on ice/concrete is no fun. But my biggest worry was if my nice expensive jacket was ok. It was. :)

The cabbies in my area continue to surprise me. Every now and then I'll get a grumpy cabbie always trying to fleece me, and then every then and now i'll get an honest, chatty, helpful, sincere cabbie. Today was a nice cabbie day. :)

How social media has messed up our real-world relationships. We are now capable of causing hurt to people in that many more ways, thanks to blogging/facebooking/tweeting. You can be hyperactive on facebook and not return your friend's calls and they will feel bad. You can reciprocate to facebook wishes before phone calls and offend someone. You can bitch about someone on twitter in as vague a way as possible and that person will get to know of it. You can discuss life on your blog and not even be thinking about your best friend who happens to read your blog, and the best friend will take it personally. The written word has a stronger impact sometimes than the things you say, do, or don't. And, funnily enough, as we intentionally or unintentionally alienate and hurt these real-world friends, we find ourselves cultivating stronger bonds with virtual acquaintances. For the virtual ones are that much more convenient. There's no baggage. They are more in touch with you because they have read your latest rant/outburst. They "get" you. And, you can shut them up by simply clicking on a tiny x.

4 comments:

nitish said...

Benefits of Meenabai, check.

By the way, nailed my inspiration for Poughkeepsie. Reminds me of Chandler telling Rachel, "You and I were always like !"

Raam Pyari said...

have a nice time with B :)

Kits said...

Have fun hon! I got myself off FB and find myself being asked q's like 'Don't you miss stuff?' and 'are you not in touch with friends'. But I find this is more meaningful now to call and speak to them. I have even started sending postcards on account of having moving country post shaadi. :)

diyadear said...

nice read..