Tuesday, March 22, 2011

W O M M

My niece (5 yo) is growing up faster than I can keep up with. Her vocabulary includes words like "embarrassing", "Recommendation" and what not. Gosh.

The other day, my mom was busy yelling at my sis over the phone, saying that she yelled too much at my niece and that was making her thin. LOL. I told my mom that there was no bigger irony than her objecting to my sister scolding her daughter- our entire building, and the ones around ours will vouch for the amount of yelling from my mom we had to deal with while growing up, especially my sister. To which the smitten grandmother responds "You girls were terrible kids. My grand-daughter is an angel, and doesn't need to be yelled at". HAH!

I had another informational interview today with a Co. in India. It went well as in I got some information, and I definitely would like to explore opportunities with them further. Everyone's standard response is come here and visit us and then we'll take it from there. I guess its pretty reasonable, I would also want to visit a place before deciding to work with them. These days I am telling everyone that I leaving and I wish I had a more solid answer to "Where are you going next" instead of the "I have some possibilities..". Ah well. Both my Ph.D. mentor and my post-doc mentor are overtly supportive of my decision to go into the industry, but not without leaving subtle hints like "Why aren't you considering teaching- you're a natural" and other such attempts at brain-washing. :)

B is currently house hunting for a place for us to rent and move into together. I don't have a big list of things for him. All I want is a spacious kitchen and an Indian-style toilet. Those are my only demands. And he tells me that the latter is becoming more and more rare. How sad.

Experiments, data, packing, job-hunting, life. Its all coming together. That much is for sure.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

were you a terrible kid,,, i wouldn't imagine so!!!!! you must be the star kid that other kids heard about in the yelling at home, i thought.. :))
pliss to give some real stories so i can realign the image in my head :)
-ferret

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

i think i was a pretty good kid,,but my mom still yelled at me :p

Calvin said...

House hunting is a night mare...specially in India where are brokers are non-professional and pathetic, with almost zero knowledge...and most of the new high rise buildings would have the western toilets...not much one can do about it...

nitish said...

B1, I'm guessing. And Indian-style? What are you, un-potty-trained? Hip-and-happening R2Is don't squat so low.

TGFI said...

Calvin,
yes I have heard nightmare stories from my husband- he has already been through it once in bombay and then, as a "Single" guy- he found it almost impossible to get any decent place.

nitish,
i forget which B is which- same as yours. Indian style squatting is the healthiest way of doing it, I'll have know.

nitish said...

B1=Bom,B2=Blore. So you'll be in the ilaaka, eh? Please to ping on arrival, that is, if I'm not fired by then.

TGFI said...

stop reading blogs and start doing some work.

Archana said...

After we moved back, I was super-duper thrilled when I located an apartment (which we eventually moved into) through a classified ad in one of the free neighborhood papers just when we were ready to tear our hair in frustration. No brokers!! Of course, we had some issues once we moved in but the owner is a nice guy and sorted them out for us. I think finding the apartment *all on my own* is my biggest accomplishment till date after moving back to India - lol!

BTW, good luck finding an Indian style toilet! Many house owners are "upgrading" to the western style ones since older renters find them much easier to use.

TGFI said...

Archana,

good for you! We hate the brokers with a passion, but can't help use them ..will try the newspapers too, thanks for the tip :)

Deeps said...

Just wanted to put in a quick comment for the rental place. Try Sulekha.com. Many IT people put ads for rental places (even we did for our place in Bangalore) and hopefully you'll find something that fits you soon.

And I agree very much about grandmoms. My mom admits to being impatient with me and even spanking me when I was little and all it takes for her to jump to the rescue of my daughter is the sound of my raised voice!!