Monday, March 14, 2011

While trying to stop myself from dozing off

at my desk, I resort to blogging to wake me up. I cannot believe I am so sleepy after a cup of coffee. Yet another reminder that I refuse to look in the eye ..that I need some serious exercise. :( My current goal is to work out thrice a week and so, I let today pass. Sigh. :(.

---
Listening to good music takes some effort. You need to seek good music, make a note of good bands/songs when you see hear them, and try to listen to more like them. Or have friends with good taste who point you to the good stuff. Or easy access to good live music. I miss those few good music influences I had in my life. So now I have settled for bollywood dhinchaak and a pop radio FM station. Both have become addictive just by nature of their repetitiveness. The bollywood stuff is peppy and upbeat, at least. The radio channel I listen to plays the crappiest music. But I find myself humming some of those songs, and even searching for them on youtube when I feel like listening to them. Gosh.

---
I read this really terribly written book "Don't lose your mind lose your weight". Don't ask me what I am doing reading books like that in the first place. :D. Someone praised it to the skies and curiosity got better of me. The message of the book, and all the principles it recommends are all spot on. I hope to adopt some of them and live by them. Its the style in which the book was written that totally put me off. It was coarse, over-familiar, all kinds of really bad jokes scattered all over, the author (a nutritionist) constantly deriding the reader, mocking her clients - apparently that kind of style actually appeals to a lot of people. Not me, for sure.

---
She has paraphrased my thoughts on the horrible NYT story reporting the gang rape of a 11 year old in Cleveland, Texas. We have a long long way to go in social conditioning and response to crime and abuse against women. For starters, I wish media (in all forms- TV ads, bollywood movies, music videos) would stop the blatant objectification of women.

---
* Currently Listening To: Lady Gaga - complete with humming and head-bopping. Somebody, kill me.*

---
I am doing a lot better in the get to work early department. And am less allergic to the hostile work atmosphere that has taken form over the past several months. I am finally learning to pretend that the nasty people don't exist and stop feeling bad about the negativity, just focus on what I need to get done. Stop comparing and belittling myself. It helps that I am now finally getting some neat data, that is keeping me excited and motivated.

---
My sister always told me this :), but recently I was made to feel really conscious about how much I whine (not just on the blog, but in real life :)). I need to consciously curb it. I guess I have never worked on what I project outward- I say what's on my mind, my face always betrays my emotions even if I make an attempt to hide something. My fake nod and smile really doesn't go too far, except in keeping things non-confrontational. But I will have to learn some amount of modulation. Learn to desist when I'm tempted to confront and lash out, learn to sugar coat somethings, learn to not come across as whiny, even if I am indulging in what I think is just telling it as it is. All in the name of being professional. Hmm.

* Currently Listening to : "Dynamite". (some Taio Cruz) Sigh. :(

---
I have a lot of travel coming up, and I am excited about that. I go to a big meeting next month, get to show off a prestigious travel award that I won to go there, and my shiny new laptop bag that was a gift from a friend. :). And yes, some cool data also that will morph into a pretty poster soon. Later, I make the trip to Lutom that has been on the cards for a while now. I get to visit PhDAdv. and other profs, as well as hang out at a few of the places I frequented way back then in grad school. I am so excited about going back to visit!

---
I really, badly want a friend like Elaine. :D May be I should watch less TV and go out more. :)

---
My latest pet peeve is all the buggers that talk loudly on their cellphones in small restricted spaces like trains and buses. What the eff is up with them? It smacks of complete disregard, inconsideration and absolute self-absorption. These people in their loud shrill voices discussing their lives as if everyone else's lives would be enriched by listening to them, whether they want it or not. I have done the staring, glaring, asking people to tone it down and getting up and changing my seat. But it annoys the hell out of me. The latest addition to this is people who play their ipods loud enough for the entire compartment to hear their crappy music. Selfish bastards all.

---
Mountain of dishes beckons. Ta.

want you to make me feel....like I'm the only girl in the world......Rihanna- .yeah..that's how bad it is.

4 comments:

Ludwig said...

If you're Bollywooding, I highly, highly recommend Bombay Production. Clean interface, good music, nice categories.

For the mother of all Indian music archives, there is Music India Online, of course. It has been around forever and sustained one through several nights in grad school labs and jobs.

nitish said...

Don't feel shy to ask me about heavy metal. All that whining will be pounded away. Started packing yet for Mother India?

The_Girl_From_Ipanema said...

Ludwig!
How awesome is that Bombay Production..thanks. I love it! And yeah, MusicIndiaOnline rules. :)

nitish
pah. And ya, started packing- as in started throwing. :/ How is Mother India treating you?

nitish said...

Mother India is alright but her daughters are blissfully ignorant of certain successful ex-NRIs. Pah indeed.